Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

dead rooster

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1dead rooster Empty dead rooster Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

He was just lying on the floor of the coop. There was no sign of struggle, no feathers amiss, no blood and all the others except the Salmon Faverolle hen were milling about. She was in the bantam cage hiding under a board and would not budge. I wonder what happened. Chickens!!!

2dead rooster Empty Re: dead rooster Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Happens more than you think F.E. Right now with the sudden cold we just had, it's enough to pick off even a healthy bird.

If a bird is found on its back with no obvious signs of injury or stress and to the best of your knowledge there was no signs of disease, most people write it if off as Flip-Over Symdrome which is usually caused by a heart attack.

If a bird is found lying as if it is roosting or on its side, again no injury, ect [as above] most people will write it off as something was wrong internally and with the sudden cold the bird couldn't cope.

3dead rooster Empty Re: dead rooster Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:58 pm

I bet he weighed a good 8 pounds. He was hatched this spring and was a Speckled Sussex rooster , pretty gentle in nature and got along well with the whole flock. He had a name. He had a wife, now a widow. I saw no signs of illness in him or any of the flock. It was minus 25 last night. The single heat lamp was on high but at perch level. If he was on the floor he would have felt that cold for sure. There are enough perches for all the birds if they so choose to roost and most do. He was on his side. Poor guy.

4dead rooster Empty Re: dead rooster Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not much you can do Sad Sorry for your loss.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum