Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"?

+2
CynthiaM
cuckoomama
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Empty Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My friend in the UK and I were talking about our birds, both chickens and ducks. She mentioned that in the early fall that she had purchased some Black Rock chickens. Has anyone heard of these? She was also talking about some Alysbury ducks that she had sold. She was looking at my flock of Pekins and said that they looked like her Alysbury ducks as their Pekins walk more upright than the ones that I have...interesting. So anyone have Black Rock chickens?

2Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:04 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, this is an interesting subject. Wonder what it is? Probably something like a red rock.

Is the egg layers that are called red rocks a cross between a red rooster and a barred Plymouth rock female. I would like to know more about this. I think using the barred female crossed with a red male (that might be any red rooster, i.e., buckeye, New Hampshire) gives males that are barred and females that are black with red flecks on the chest. But honestly don't know much about this. Would love to have this bumped so you get some responses. Someone knows about what crosses are used to make crosses I am sure. Bring it!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

3Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm

foal0069

Cross:Unique strain of Rhode Island Red Cock / Barred Plymouth Rock Hen.
Just typed in Black Rock Chicken in the UK and there is a whole blurb on them.

4Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Australia and the UK tend to have more colour varieties recognized than we do. Chances are good it's just a standard variety in the country, though could also be a marketing gimmick like the red rock here.

http://countrythyme.ca

5Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It's probley a black rock, also come in Blue/splash PR. Or it could be a cross.

6Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My mistake. Just looked at the APA list of recognized breeds and black rocks are in there. So they're a recognized variety here too!

Shows how much I know about Plymouth rocks!

http://countrythyme.ca

7Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Empty Re: Has anyone heard of "Black Rocks"? Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:24 am

bshelton

New Here

Plymouth rocks are bred ans shown in the color black in both large fowl and bantams. They are recognized by both the APA and ABA.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum