Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you feed your waterfowl?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What do you feed your waterfowl? Empty What do you feed your waterfowl? Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Last year I fed the ducks wheat, oats and barley and peas, plus some vegetable scraps, but not many because the pigs got most. They helped themselves to the fines from the hay the larger animals left and that was it. I know they likely required more.
What do you feed your duckies?

2What do you feed your waterfowl? Empty Re: What do you feed your waterfowl? Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The geese scorn my grain. They prefer to free range, yanking mouthfuls of grass angrily from the ground. Their favourite is the tender, pale grass that grows under things left on the lawn. Winter is here and they are even angrier that the grass is covered and they have to eat grain. Hisssss

3What do you feed your waterfowl? Empty Re: What do you feed your waterfowl? Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:44 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Grain and Vegie's
also they get a round of alfalfa/grass mix in the winter
They have barns to go in but they prefer to stay outside so I also place straw in different areas for them

4What do you feed your waterfowl? Empty Re: What do you feed your waterfowl? Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Although we don't have ducks anymore, ours had a feeder full of duck and goose food, but they spent most of their time foraging for their own food. Grass, bugs and slugs. Some breeds are apparently better foragers than others.

5What do you feed your waterfowl? Empty Re: what do you feed your waterfowl? Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Our ducks are housed with our chickens until we get the new duck house built...might be spring now because of the electric fencing required. The eat chicken pellets and we have duck food for them too but they eat both. We also go to Marketplace/IGA and ask for the "trim" which is the outer leaves of the lettuce, romaine, celery leaves, radish tops etc etc. Boy summer was great! The ducks and chickens loved watermelon and when I would come home from work they would all run up to the car in hopes that there would be some watermelon for them in the bag in the trunk.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum