Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What to do for the lonely roo?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What to do for the lonely roo? Empty What to do for the lonely roo? Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 am

There is one little bantam cross rooster that will not stay in the coop. He flies out of the panel fence and wanders the yard. Although the pop door is open at night, he roosts in the trees, though now that it is ccccccold and snowing constantly, I am not sure where he goes to sleep. There are places for him to get out of the elements, but I have not seen him at night. Why does he go away from the flock? Is there any way short of caging him, to keep him warm inside [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2What to do for the lonely roo? Empty Re: What to do for the lonely roo? Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am guessing he is low in the pecking order and doesnt feel safe going in with them at night? Are there other roosters or hens chasing him around during the day?
I would try to put him in at night for a few nights and close up the pop door so he cant come out again til morning and see if he figures out a way to fit in.
I had a few young cockerels that were staying out in the yard at night because they were low men and after a few nights of putting them in after the others were roosted and closing the door, they figured it out on their own.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3What to do for the lonely roo? Empty Re: What to do for the lonely roo? Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Once we had a lone Cochin roo who was mercilessly pounded in the hen pen, so he took up the life of a vagabond. He used to stand directly below the kid's bedroom window and begin crowing at ungordonly hours. For this I was secretly happy. Hee hee.

But he was still an awkward bachelor. Then one day some attractive young quails wandered into the yard. Spying them the roo quickly ran over and tried to get it on with them. They ran away, horrified, phoned the Perverted Poultry Police who must have arrived after dark and arrested the roo, because he just was gone the next morning.

If you want to keep your roo from committing some act that might lead to a criminal record and an extended incarceration, confining him to keep him out of trouble might be your only option.

4What to do for the lonely roo? Empty Re: What to do for the lonely roo? Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:52 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh UNO...Thanks for the chuckle.

5What to do for the lonely roo? Empty Re: What to do for the lonely roo? Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:31 pm

He used to roost with the bantams in their hoop coop all summer. When the bantams were moved to the insulated winter coop, he refused to be part of it. I stuffed him inside and the moment the door was opened he would run out and fly away screaming. I do not notice any bird picking on him. He had a wife all summer, but she prefers to stay warm and has joined the flock, so he is alone now.

He does not come to the house Uno, and there are no quail here, so maybe he will just continue to be the barnyard rooster if he lasts the winter. Funny!

6What to do for the lonely roo? Empty Re: What to do for the lonely roo? Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have had some success reintroducing ostracized drakes, since they can't fly well and are easily confined to a pen but it can get pretty messy. With chickens though, most of my pens are too short and I just think it is best and easiest to cull. Sounds harsh, but most times I have shied away from a cull, something horrible happens and I realize it would have been more humane to just cull.

However, if you're trying to force a bird to stay in a new and unfamiliar coop, you should really keep the doors locked for at least 5 days before letting them back out, a full week is even better. Shoving a chicken in a coop for the night and letting it out the next day is never going to work if it has access to its' old accommodations, and bantams fly well. Though sometimes nothing works and I go back to the butcher block suggestion.

http://countrythyme.ca

7What to do for the lonely roo? Empty Re: What to do for the lonely roo? Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:27 am

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

This fall I had some left-over pullets from the spring hatch that had been roosting in a smaller coop. Only the main coop is insulated, so they had to be convinced to "move over." I moved the only sources of feed and water into the main coop, my dog helped me round them up and stuff them in. After about two nights of "assistance" they decided they liked the coop better than being herded by a Kelpie Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum