Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chantecler Info

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chantecler Info Empty Chantecler Info Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thought this was interesting even though it was from 2009
Wonder what 10 farms are raising them
Would be interesting to here about what they say
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Chantecler Info Empty Re: Chantecler Info Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3Chantecler Info Empty Re: Chantecler Info Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:25 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

was just going to post that same site and peoples names as
I found that on line also
thats thw trouble with dial up cant find stuff nd post it as fast as you all
Thanks Tara

4Chantecler Info Empty Re: Chantecler Info Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:37 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:

Article published Jan 2011, Labour of Love

André Auclair and Mario Bélanger are two of the ten in Quebec.

Tara
[/quote]

This one is also interesting Tara
Its not a bad read

Joe

5Chantecler Info Empty Re: Chantecler Info Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

“It’s a traditional race that at one time was part of our culture, of our heritage,” said Andre Auclair, whose farm in St-Paulin, Que., is home to about five per cent of the world’s Chantecler population — or about 100 chickens.

Interesting. According those stats, I guess I have 5% of the world's Chantecler population too!! Laughing

I have a feeling the numbers of breeding stock are much, much higher.

But that article was published in 2009, and maybe the stats used were gathered a few years earlier than that. Its possible that was closer to the true breeding population of the time. And that is dangerously low! But there always seems to be a few little flocks that fly below the radar and are not counted. Such as when the Chantecler was believed to be extinct, but had continued to live on in a few scattered farmyards.
Anyway, I'm really pleased at the surge of popularity this breed is now enjoying and the numbers are expanding all the time. I agree, it would be wonderful if a similar project was available for the Partridge Chantecler!

Last edited by KathyS on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just adding a bit more...)

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

6Chantecler Info Empty Re: Chantecler Info Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:24 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Not sure where they got their stats from on the numbers. It sounds like it might be one of those "read between the lines" kind of things. I'm sure someone is going to get government funding for this project. Maybe someone should squeak a bit about how rare the "Albertain Chicken" is and maybe they will get some business publicity and public funding too! I'm sure there are fewer numbers of this breed than there is of the white Chantecler!
None the less, maybe it will be good for the breed.

7Chantecler Info Empty Re: Chantecler Info Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:00 am

Does anyone have 2 pullets for sale near northeastern Alberta? The original white Chanteclers are what I am after. I do not need a rooster at this time though.

8Chantecler Info Empty Re: Chantecler Info Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Based on some posts you had made a little while ago TFE, I thought you disliked chickens because of some childhood fears or something and you were getting rid of all your birds!? You made a post saying your goodbyes and leaving the chicken forums because you thought your time would be better spent on sheep or goat forums instead?
Sorry to have gotten off track of this post, but I must have missed the threads were TFE was interested in chickens again.
Anyways, it's good to see you're not afraid of them and like them again!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum