Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VINDICATION!

+8
ChicoryFarm
Fowler
Dark Wing Duck
Keibler77
Jonny Anvil
rosewood
Anna
uno
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1VINDICATION! Empty VINDICATION! Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:06 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

BRace yourselves for a global bacon shortage, the only thing worse would be total global annihilation. So on the scale of bad, this is big.

Why is there a potential global bacon shortage? If you listened to the farmer interviewed on the CBC the cost of feeding a pig has gone up. The cost of housing a pig has gone up. The cost of slaughtering a pig has gone up, but the price people will pay for that pig has NOT gone up!

Remember my Costco rant where I bemoaned the shockingly cheap price of the meat, most especially the pork I was holding. Holding above my head and shaking, flopping dead and limp and underpriced, as I ranted to an uninterested crowd about how this CHEAP MEAT will lead to the END of farming as we know it. Well, HAH!

I have maintained for years that Canadians (and the Americans are even worse) are hopelessly stunned about how the other half lives. We spend a small percentage of our income on feeding ourselves compared to what other people on this planet pay for their paltry cup or rice and dried beans. We have NO CONCEPT that our food is criminally cheap.

I knwow when you buy a block of cheese or a T-bone steak, it doesn't feel that way. BUt the truth is, our food is artificially cheap. And the end result is that the people who produce that food either quit or turn to farming practices that are a crime against animals, in my mind.

It would serve us right to have a bacon shortage. But the fix will only come when consumers demand that the MIDDLE FAT CAT gets less, and MORE goes to the man with manure on his boots or wheat chaff in his collar. We need to put our money in the hand of the man who puts food hwhere our mouth is. We have to step up and PAY MORE at the local farmer's market. We have to lobby hard against the oppression of the CFIA who has made home meat a crime. And we have to insist that the man at the bottom of the heap, the farmer, is able to make a living raising his animals to standards that we approve of. Quality costs. When you are not willing to pay for quality you eventually end up with...bacon shortages. Thank god it isn't a coffee shortage!

2VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

Anna

Anna

Thanks Uno,

I'm glad people start to realize that we cannot keep on farming with the low pig prices and high feed prices.

Sometimes people say, "well, if it doesn't pay, just quit farming".
It's not that easy, it's a way of life, and we love it.
So, we will keep on producing bacon as long as we can Razz

3VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I generally agree, but the CFIA is not the only organization making Marijuana legal and home butchered/grown meat illegal. The "safe meat" laws in this province come from our own provincial government who in their wisdom also added HST (minus GST) to the price of butchering. In addition the cost of meat inspection is now paid by the federal government who are talking about downloading this cost to the user.

4VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Personally and I know my arteries may clog a bit after saying this...

I'm willing to pay a higher price for bacon, but I'd rather get it local and fresh.

My goal is within 10 years to be self sustaining, meaning that I won't need to go to the Super market to get meat / produce.

5VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Keibler77

Keibler77

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree! Our goal here on our farm is the same as you Johnny. We want to be completely self-sufficient and rarely have to ever buy anything from the grocery store. That being said..I'm not sure if I would go so far as to make my own cheese, butter, soap etc., but I most certainly wouldn't shy away from trying it! As for anything I can't or have no desire to make myself, I have no problem paying good money to those hard working farmers out there that do. I have no desire to ever raise bees, but I pay for fresh honey from my neighbouring bee keeper. I believe he deserves every penny I pay him for that beautiful, golden goodness. I will say this...just tonight I cooked my family a meal that consisted of our farm raised beef, potatoes, corn and beets from my garden, and homemade bread that I made this morning. Well...I can say that it was very satisfying to know where everything entering our mouths has come from. And there is great pride in knowing your children are full and happy off of the food you raised and grew with great love and care, right in your own back yard.

My spouse and I know full well about the rising cost of feed and housing, etc. to raise pigs...but really...we don't care. We will roll with it..and have great quality meat for our efforts, none of that 'cheap meat' as Uno so appropriately refers to it. Our pigs will have only the very best life we can give them...space, fresh air, good food, respectful treatment...and in return we will have the very best, fresh, delicious meat...something that money alone just can't bring you...no matter what kind of "deal" you think you're getting in the supermarkets.

6VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm probably going to upset a couple people with my response, but oh well, it's not the first time, and it sure wont be the last time either, so here it goes and be pre warned to suck it up!

As far as commercial farming goes, I truly do think its a shame how the producer (not a farmer in my opinion) doesn't get a fare share of the final cost of what he produces, buuuuuuuut... does that same person feel sorry for me if I get layed off at work? Or does he feel sorry and go out of his way to support students who protest about higher tuition fees? Or does he care if there are people jumping out of building on Wall Street because of bad investments? Maybe a little, but I'm thinking he doesn't give it much thought and not much more of a response than "oh that's too bad."!

The simple factor that relates all this is how its considered a job, or in the case of the students, a means to a future job. What I'm trying to say is, if your job sucks or doesn't pay enough or isn't stable enough, or your education is too costly, maybe you should consider another path in life! It might sound harsh, but it really is the way the world runs! To say "but it's always been our way of life" or "it's who we are" doesn't get any sympathy from me at all!

I don't care that commercial hog producers are starving! I didn't really care much that beef prices were down there for awhile! Why? Because the rest of the world doesn't care where their food comes from and most people choose their food by whats on sale anyways! The commercial producers have created this "dog chasing it's tail" market and do not seem to want to do anything about it now! All of these commercial producers could try to do things in their operations to make healthier products for us but they do what they do because it helps them and their operation costs, which in turn creates competition and a sub-par end product! Cattle producers could just as easily finish their own beef and sell to a local person rather than try to get rich by just running the cattle on pasture all summer then sell at auction and complain about how little they made! At one time, Alberta Beef was a truly healthier, better product, but I think it's nothing more than just a slogan now!

Now with that said, "farming " doesn't have to be a big, unrewarding, costly venture! It doesn't even have to be a sole form of anyones income. Look at it this way, the average family might eat a side of beef a year right? So why not raise a beef steer and sell half to a friend, neighbour, family member, whom ever. For what you sell a side of beef for, you'll pay for the majority of the costs of your healthy, chemical free, grassed raised, know where it came from eats!!! The same goes for a couple pigs, chickens, sheep, etc, etc... All of this can very easily be done on only a few acres. You don't need alot of land to raise your own food!

If you think that producing "fresh", "farm raised" (marketing terms that are old and out of date, but are still being used by small time producers to try to push their products) food is a good lucrative business venture, well then you deserve to loose your shirt and you wont get any sympathy from me! Sorry. I say worry about your own family first and then maybe we can try to feed the rest of the world after that.

7VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Darkwing you spoke it better than I could think it, and thanks for typing it out.... We should meet up again soon.
Haven't seen you in a while.

What you said in your post
Pretty much sums up the way I feel and think about it as well, yeah it's a harsh reality but it's a reality.
Sure I will have to go to the super market to get soap and the other commodities that I don't want to make for myself but like you said...

Now with that said, "farming " doesn't have to be a big, unrewarding, costly venture! It doesn't even have to be a sole form of anyones income. Look at it this way, the average family might eat a side of beef a year right? So why not raise a beef steer and sell half to a friend, neighbour, family member, whom ever. For what you sell a side of beef for, you'll pay for the majority of the costs of your healthy, chemical free, grassed raised, know where it came from eats!!! The same goes for a couple pigs, chickens, sheep, etc, etc... All of this can very easily be done on only a few acres. You don't need alot of land to raise your own food!

That's my intentions, I'd rather invest in a beef cow then to get my beef from the supermarket. They way I think about it is One cow can feed my family and we would have all sorts of cuts and ground beef so on, rather then going to a supermarket and having 6 - 10 different cows, from 3-4 different cuts. Once again my opinion.
You really don't need much land.

Add this in with a garden and really you have a fair bit of great eats, and you know what has gone into it... I think it's a more simpler way to live. Use the supermarkets for emergency back... lol
For the most part I hit the local farmer's markets, one day I'll walk out back and pick my own.

8VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

DarkWing, I think I disagree with you. Although I'm not entirely positive.

Are you saying the factory farmer has pooped where he eats? Why yes..he has.

I still maintain that the squawking public...feed us for free....had some big part to play in the demise of the smaller farm. As more of us left the farm to get those better jobs you talk of, we became ignorant of what it takes to feed a family and thus, feed a nation! We turned our eyes away from the dirty hands and long hours of our ancestors and dressed ourselves in suits and ties and convinced ourselves that THIS is work that matters. Who needs a Massey Ferguson when a sleek briefcase and making money with someone else's money, someone else's hard work, gives us the oily sheen of success.

I believe in all things there must be a balance and when there isn't, things go sideways. We are now going sideways. And yes, factory farms who can't get by can close shop and go pound sand. But will there be smaller scale operations to fill the gap? I hope so. I DO NOT want to live in a country where we have this incredible land mass, and all our meat arrives on planes from off continent! You want to be somebody's #itch, just let it out that you can't feed yourself anymore. Watch the global predators start circling like sharks!

To that end, to promote the values that I blab about here, I DO PAY MORE for local meat of better quality. I DO PAY MORE for local produce. I SHOP LOCAL. Because, no matter how sensible your argument, Dark Wing, I want to know that someone, somewhere is still feeding cattle, growing wheat and doing it because it IS possible to make a living at it. To say 'that's just the way the world is' is to give up without a fight. And I never, NEVER give up without a fight.

ANd if you don't believe me, DarkWIng, we can go outside and settle this like men. (looking for punch-to-nose smilie) tongue

9VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:01 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, the public demands cheap food. Problem is, there is always someone willing to undercut the other guys in order to sell. It becomes a merry-go-round of cause and effect. Our cheap food system is not sustainable. It will end, it's only a question of when.

10VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 am

AS some of you know I live as the 4th generation on this land, My family has lived here since this area was first cleared for farming. Im told that back then, on this very 2 mile stretch of road, 8, yes Ill repeat EIGHT families- not these pathetic nuclear families- 8 families of wayyy more kids than any of us could hope to support(10 kids not uncommon)- 8 families made a living on 1/8,1/4, and 1/2 sections of land. There is no excuse, in my eyes, for the conditions preventing this from happening right now. It wasnt all about money, trade of goods took place amongst them for things needed and money was saved for things not available locally. Fast forward to now and it takes square miles of land and millions of dollars in equipment and buildings to actually make a living, for most rural people anyway. There are a few with lucrative contracts and less land or equipment but they also mass produce the swill that is mistaken for healthy food nowadays or have found a niche for some other marketable skill. Have farmers now become the 1% with all the money and opportunity? Really its the opportunity that is missing, where do you find the opportunity on a farm to make a living, money I mean- not the simple act of disturbing some soil planting a seed and eating what comes up(maybe) later(thats life not living[??]). Maybe farmers have less morality than we think, maybe that stems from having to be harshly practical in order to live...I just heard it said that the only way to get 3 farmers to agree on anything is if 2 are dead. Maybe people just dont know anymore because of being methodically disconnected from reality(turn off the media please). When I first moved here I would drive down the gravel road and see all these perfect fields, perfectly tilled, perfect crops, my mind would say "this is beautiful and Im so lucky to be here". Now I know better and when I drive down the road I see dead fields, unnatural crops, missing forms of life, and worst of all I see that everything I see is the result of artificial tampering with chemicals- my mind says this is real crime not just a petty breaking of subjective rules(see Supertramp: crime of the century). It has taken me all this time living here and not just that but actually becoming involved with older farming practices to see this truth that is right in front for all to see if they care to look. Now that Ive had these experiences I have no intentions of living in any other way and Ive tried a lot of other ways. I too will now strive for self sustainability with food. Ive changed, now that I know what food is- or rather what food isnt as compared to store bought processed ???(what is that crap anyway). I look in the fridge and no matter how badly I have the MUNCHIES my stomach turns at the thought of "I know it tastes good but what the hell is that and whats in it" so 90% of the time I walk away searching cupboards for something real and unprocessed. Pay more for real food, sure, if its real, when you get really hungry you will pay dearly for what you need and fugetaboutit what you want(Ive experienced real hunger), at least until the pain of deprivation causes people to say "screw it I want what I want so I can feel ok again". AS long as I have the opportunity to put one foot in front of the other on this land I will carry on with producing unwanted, dangerous, FOOD. I also hope the 1% that can actually afford my prices choke on a bone and die cause I sure as hell cant afford my prices- Id friggin starve AGAIN! If you really are hungry and starving I will feed you, for free cause its a human thing to do...but if you are just looking for a deal to take advantage of me I will only F---you.

11VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:50 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Yes, the public demands cheap food. Problem is, there is always someone willing to undercut the other guys in order to sell. It becomes a merry-go-round of cause and effect. Our cheap food system is not sustainable. It will end, it's only a question of when.

You got it Fowler. It's a dog eat dog world right now when it comes to pricing food.

The more food we can grow for ourselves and have to trade with our neighbours (potatoes for garlic, etc) in the future, the better off we'll be. Our dependency on large scale industrial agriculture and large scale farming, as well as corporations who control our food supply will be the death of us.......in more ways than one........not just in tainted meat.

12VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:24 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chicory you hit on something when you said 'corporation'. I think farming would be more lucrative if it was more local. As in Albertans eat mostly what Alberta produces, and some of what BC produces, and BCers eat what BC produces and a little of what Alberta produces. But we all think that we should have anything we want, whenever we want it. Oranges in January! Our insistance that we should never have to live within the bounds of our food supply reality, has created a big mess. It has created corporate farming and distribution. It has created how ONE SLAUGHTER HOUSE has sent contaminated meat over THOUSANDS of miles to potentially thousands of people.

Fowler also brought up something, to which I do not have an answer. (remember I am just a domestic goddess and not an economist, which may put me at an advantage) But when farmer A undercuts Farmer B by selling for less, it is the farmers themselves who betray each other. But when farmers band together to set a price, that is not a good thing either. That removes diversity from farming, I think. It stops Farmer A from raising his pork slightly differently from Farmer B and marketting it as milk fed and finished on champagne. If they are all going to get a set price for their product, why should any of them strive for a better life or death for the animal because in the end, it doesn't matter. I think while co-operation is good, it leads to mediocrity in farming practices which translates to a bad life for most animals. (think battery hens and pigs in tiny pens, veal that can't move in the stall).

Undercutting each other is deadly. Agreeing on a set price has unintended consequences and is bad for the consumer and the livestock.

I think we need to get back to the day when Farmer Reneggaide is NOT catering to the masses, is NOT a factory farm, but a boutique farmer who has developed his own group of followers who want his product, and no other. THey want Reneggaides product because they want to eat chickens and pigs that were finished on champagne and truffles. I think this is slowly happening more and more. But the buying public is fickle and used to non-committal food. They want what they want, want it now, even if some dark skinned child worked for nothing in the long, hot sun to harvest it. I have seen the enemy and he is us!

13VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rennegaide, lots of wisdom in what you wrote. You have a knack for cutting to the chase.
Harsh but true - Farmers are not all saints, they are not all stewards of the land. They are people, no different than anyone else. Some are satisfied to feed their own family off their little patch of ground and keep a close connection to nature. Some go big. They buy the biggest & best equipment, build huge infrastructure and operate a factory in the hopes of big returns on their investment. Do they ever really come out ahead, or do they spend their lives trying to pay back Farm Credit. I wonder. Question
And believe it or not, there are a few farmers out there that have found a way to honor the land and animals, while still making a decent living and supporting extended families. Once again I have to make reference to Joel Salatin and his Polyface farm. His values are old fashioned and his infrastructure is minimal. His animals live the way farm animals should - out grazing in well managed pastures. But he is very successful doing what he is doing, feeding not only his extended family, but selling naturally raised beef, pork and chicken to the public and to restaurants. It can be done!!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

14VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:57 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Uno, you made it sound as if you didn't quite understand me, however you pretty much said what I meant in your last post! Rolling Eyes

More or less of what I was trying to say was that we (Albertain's, BCer's, Canadians, what ever) don't need "big time" producers of food to eat healthy. It is the opposite! And because of the whole idea of "big time" production, there is this boom or bust phenomenon going on!!! I believe the "boom or bust" is created by greed on the "big time" producers part! Why? Because as I have already said, we don't need "big time" producers to eat healthy food. We can grow most of it our selfs at home and trade with other like minded neighbours for the things that we don't grow or raise our self! The "big time" producers are trying to make food for export the fastest, most economical way possible. However, you have to be "big time" to break even, never mind make a profit! And as a result, quality always suffers!

Now some might bring the city folks into this and say " Well, they can't raise a beef cow in town, so what about them?". That too can also be dealt with. Like most of you have already stated, buying from a local "small time" farmer direct or even shopping at a small butcher or grocery market who supports local farmers. Heck, city folks can even grow a couple tomato plants or heads of lettuce on their window sill if they wanted too. Anything to minimize the need to rely on the "big time" producers 24/7/365 a year! However, its like I already said. Most people shop for their food based on buying whatever is on sale!

Until we realize how much Newzeland lamb, Chinese smoked oysters, and American corn truly upset our (Canadian) health and economy, well Uno, yes that is truly the way the world turns! Its nor giving up, its just understanding the facts.

15VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:51 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well Dark Wing, I wasn't entirely sure that I did understand you. I spend a lot of time being mildly confused. I'm just glad we don't have to go duke it out in the parking lot. Seems we are mostly on the same page...now which one of us should be elected PM so we can fix this mess?

16VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

uno wrote:Well Dark Wing, I wasn't entirely sure that I did understand you. I spend a lot of time being mildly confused. I'm just glad we don't have to go duke it out in the parking lot. Seems we are mostly on the same page...now which one of us should be elected PM so we can fix this mess?

I would pay to see you two duke it out....

My money is on the parking lot for the win... lol

Just kidding Razz

17VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOL!
The only dukin' going here is this big ol' displaced Doukhobor, and thats it! drunken

18VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am enjoying this discussion. I will make this short due to my extreme eczema and one fingered typing.

I think most of our problems lie in the fact that a huge percent of our population lives in the city and they cannot produce their own meat. As well, most meat comes from giant producers who do so in bulk. Huge populations living on huge producers is not easily balanced when things change.

On another note, the local butcher sells a t bone waaaay cheaper than the local Superstore. A lovely exception to the pricing rule.

19VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I think this is an appropriate place to share this quote I just found in a 1913 text from Department of Agriculture CanT'ada called Fodder and Pasture Plants.

A. Furius Chresimus, a freedman, having found himself able, from a very small piece of land, to raise far more abundant harvests than his neighbors could from the largest farms, became the object of very considerable jealousy among them, and was accordingly accused of enticing away the crops of others by the practice of sorcery..........Apprehensive of being condemned, he had all his implements of husbandry brought into the Forum, together with his farm servants, robust, well-conditioned, and well clad people, Piso says. The iron tools were of first rate quality, the mattocks were stout and strong, the plow-shares ponderous and substantial, and the oxen sleek and in prime condition. When all this had been done, "Here, Roman Citizens" said he, "are my implements of magic; but it is impossible for me to exhibit to your view, or to bring into this Forum, those midnight toils of mine, those early watchings, those sweats, and those fatigues." Upon this, by the unanimous voice of the people, he was immediately acquitted.-Pliny, Natural History, 23-79

I also found this one to be of note and appropriate:

Agriculture is an art that renders those who understand it rich, but leaves those who do not understand it, however much they may labor in it, to live in poverty.-Xenophon, 434-355 B.C.

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Intentional spelling error)

20VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

That top quote is a fine match for your signature line, Rennie.

I have read a statistic that says, properly managed, a family of four should be able to feed themselves fully on an acre of land. I also have a wonderful book, lost is the piles of stuff moved for the basement renos. It is about the practicality and diversity of a small farm.

21VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Agriculture is an art that renders those who understand it rich, but leaves those who do not understand it, however much they may labor in it, to live in poverty.-Xenophon, 434-355 B.C.[/quote]
Rennegade, I have never had a signature, but am wondering if I could use this quote. I may or may not get it done, but I really like it.

22VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:33 am

Have at it Susan, I think the copyrights expired a couple thousand years ago LOL.

23VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

aww, Rennegaide, you haven't left us, have you?? confused

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

24VINDICATION! Empty Re: VINDICATION! Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member