Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oh my Gordon!

+3
Hillbilly
HigginsRAT
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Oh my Gordon! Empty Oh my Gordon! Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:08 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Things bug me.

One of the things that bugs me is something I have witnessed here on this site, I have committed this myself as do others, so I am just as guilty. It's this extreme political correctness that has swung into the absurd and stupid and today my mind is stuck on the use of the phrase, 'oh my god'.

Have you noticed how we avoid it? Dance around it? Slip in watered down euphemisms? We write, 'oh my goodness' or 'oh my word' or 'good gosh'. Very few of us speak that way. Some do. Most don't. Yet somehow an utterly innocent expression that has no disrespectful intent behind it, is edited out as if it was bad. As if we accidentally insult you, you might die! As if it is our job to never, ever step on anyone's toes.

THIS IS A FATAL MISTAKE on so many levels. First, and I say this with passionate anger, yes anger, if your religious toes are that stinking sensitive PUT ON BIG BOOTS and get the hell over yourself and your god! Obviously, world events have triggered my little rant. In my opinion there is no god worshiped by anyone who is above reproach, questioning or blame for anything. Any god worth his salt is open to question, judgement, trial, insult and ridicule. I expect humans to withstand all of the above without starting a war. I expect it of our gods even more so.

Let me be perfectly and utterly clear THIS IS NOT ABOUT RELIGION! If anyone reading this post thinks it is, you are mistaken. This is about people who are so focused on causing trouble that they go out of their way to find it. This is about setting the entire world up for failure. Let's pick the one thing all humanity has in common : rampant stupidity, and make it a sin against our god/prophet/hair stylist! Then we may rampage through the streets with a juicy case of righteous indignation that we have manufactured out of thin air. But oh how we love to shout, to burn, to mob, to make war, to kill and to wrap ourselves in the filthy, bloody cloak of honour that we do!

So. What does one do? I'll tell you what I am going to do. When I write a post and it requires the phrase, oh my god, I am going to say, oh my god, and if that insults you, that is YOUR PROBLEM!. You are responsible for not sniffing out insult where none exists. You are responsible for conducting yourself with respect and dignity even when you have been insulted. You are responsible for questioning if your sensitivity is honest, or you are simply in love with being a victim and enjoy the excuse it offers you to act in uncivilized and atrocious ways? If you are so easily insulted, when no one has intended to insult you, then you are entirelay at fault, and not my bland and common use of an everyday phrase.

If I believe in a god, not saying I do or don't, but if I do, he/she/it is no wimp. Does not run around snivelling that honour has been insulted, quick, burn an embassy, kill someone who has no clue what they are dying for and are not even guilty in any real way. That is no god, that is a murderer. I have no place in my life for those types, not here or on any other plane of existence. And thus I will use the term oh my god, freely, because in this country I will do NOTHING to foster the fear, worry and pussy footing that is taking place to avoid insulting those who have nothing better to do that seek out imagined and manufactured insult.

In my posts here I try to keep from directly insulting anyone based on their opinion. I may question and challenge and disagree. But if I do insult you, then you are free to get mad at me. But if I insult god, unless you deem yourself to be god, then it's none of your business. It's between me and god. So far, I've received no emails from his lawyer saying he is unhappy with my use of a phrase that frankly, isn't even about him.

I hope my meaning and feelings of anguish for a world gone crazy is apparent here. If there is a god or gods, they weep for us. They weep because of us. This is us, this is Humanity and it gets me down. Oh my god, we've lost our minds. In that sentence it is a prayer and a plea, at this time we all need a prayer and a plea.

2Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm

You write exceptionally well uno.
But....
not using cliches when you suspect they would offend a listener is the same as not swearing in front of your grandmother. It is simple. Respect others. I believe, though your reasoning is not flawed (as in "they" should just tolerate whatever we spew forth), it is kinder and most compassionate to remain pleasant and really, when humanity is a bit askew, a little kindness and compassion may be all some one needs that day.
Blessings to you

4Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:24 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Fat Ewe, I do respect others. However I have a limit to how far over backwards I will bend to respect another...especially when their demand for respect has reached the absurd. It is one thing to be hospitable and kind, it is another to knuckle under to tyranny. Being easily and often offended, being so tender and righteous is in fact an insidious and terrible form of tyranny.

I would not swear in front of my Grandmother. But I do not consider the phrase 'oh my god' to be a form of swearing. In this society and culture, it is a phrase commonly used. Anyone hearing or reading it in context knows that it is nothing but an exclamation point that has no more weight than "I'll have a large double double." If I choose to use a deities name in vain, make no mistake, it will be clear and indeed will be highly offensive! But, if in everyday use when placed in a context where offense is not the point, to find offense where none exists is the fault and problem of the listener. It is my job not to purposely offend, and it is your job not to be purposely offended when you know darn well no offense was intended! (not you personally, you as in globally).

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. In your house, I will respect and honour your ways. But if you expect me to honour your ways in my own house, your opinion of yourself, your attitude and demand for worship is offensive, not my uttering, 'oh my god.' (again, not EWE, but the global YOU)

5Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 pm

I took swearing lessons from my kids prior to moving to this redneck area. Where I lived before, in White Rock, BC, I never even thought of swearing or saying things like OMG. Now, I can use words with the best of them and I know where they go and how they are supposed to be placed, which is a lesson in itself. Yet, when I have guests at the B and B, I resort to the innocuous clean prim lady speak like changing a hat. My daughter took a video of me learning to swear and laughed her head off when she showed it to me. I am not a prude...just needed to be careful and respectful of others in my public life before and again in my business as a bed and breakfast operator. My livelihood may suffer if I inadvertently offend some one staying in my home and I would not want to make them uncomfortable. I guess that is all I am saying. I would not want to make anyone uncomfortable if I could avoid it by not uttering some words. But, everyone has to also feel that they are not over-compromising beyond their own comfort levels as well and if you need to speak those words, then do. If others are offended, it is only because they are under the dictates of some one else telling them so (as in Tara's case).
Have a wonderful day.

6Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:54 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have always had one simple motto in life.

"If I offend you, you'll get over it"

Any one that knows me at all, knows that I would not offend Anyone without making it blatantly clear, and anyone else that takes offense needs to give their head a shake.
Life's just too damn short.

8Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't see why "Oh my god" would be a problem.

Since Jews, Christians, Muslims et al. all refer to God (with an upper case G) the statement "Oh my god" must be referring to other gods be they Roman, Nordic or what have you. People are free to offend the Vikings at their own peril.

9Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:51 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I say OMG (God) fairly regularly. But only in the presence of other adult.
I also say good greif, good gravy (thanks mom!) geeze louise, holy moley and a few others. I also type these things, and fenerally print omg as oh my gawd when typing. Why do I do this? Because my mother taught us the value of being considerate of others and not swearing or cursing in public or around children or our elders.

Around the kids I am more thoughtful of maners and how others might feel, including thier parents, and how socitey sees 'cussin. Sadly kids are taught to call each other nigga, bitch, asshole, asshat. They watch TV and listen to music and read comics and believe Holy Fu@%, fu@% that $#!t, and other comonly heard expleitives are appropriate at any time.

I do not ask you to not use the word god (be it capiltalized or not for what ever reason), but I do ask that people not use vulgar language, cursing, cussin' swearing (old and new definitions) around youth as they are learing social behaviour from what they see and hear. I wuld hope that it would not be done in the presence of elders as a mater of showing respect and consideration.

I will proudly use various softer forms of expletives not caring if someone else is "offended" by my not needing to go all the way to oh my god/God to show surprise or dissaproval of something when wow, or really or holy cow will do just fine. I was in the Navy and I worked construction. As my father says I have the mouth of a barracuda and am not afraid to use it. I do, however, try to actively make the choice to not show my coarser side as a matter of common courtesy.

10Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm

ars800

ars800

Uno, I understand some of your frustration. Unfortunately, tt seems these days that anything we do is going to offend someone. If I choose to say Oh my God or any such expression, should it not be my choice. I'm not doing it to offend someone, it's just what I say.

It truly is my choice to use those words. That "f" word may offend some, as do many other words. They only offend someone because they were told to be offended by it. Smoking offends people too, as does drinking, as do certain TV shows. You may be asking yourself, what does that have to do with it. Well... if you don't like a TV show, you change the channel. If you don't like drinking, you don't go to a bar. You get the picture. So, why do people feel it's necessary to "preach" to someone when they are offended by their language? Just remove yourself from the situation, that's what people do.

(begin rant)
Perhaps I am a religious person, perhaps not. I've always maintained that I have no probelem with religion, my problem is with organized religion. If I or you choose to believe something and act a certain way, I have the utmost respect for that. If someone tells you that you must act a certain way to honour your religion (i.e. doctrine), well... then I have some questions about religion. Yes I know every church has an "authority" but ask yourself, what if they are wrong? Who made them the authority? People around them. Probably not (insert deity here) him/herself.
(end rant)

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

11Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 am

lazyfarmer

I for one was taught by my mother and father not to swear, among other things not to do. Yes I consider OMG to be swearing. They taught by swearing you showed disrespect for yourself, others, and to God.
I was also taught that just because everyone else was doing something did not make it right. I us the term everyone loosely as I know some don't do these things.
If everyone is throwing people to the lions does it make it right?
If everyone is killing the jews does it make it right?
If everyone owns a slave does it make it right?
If everyone is doing drugs does it make it right?
If everyone swears does it make it right?
If everyone is greedy and corrupt does it make it right?
If everyone is speeding does it make it right?
How the moral compass of humanity has changed over the years is in direct relation to where we as individuals draw the line in the sand, on what is acceptable.
In my younger days I only heard or drugs never knew anyone who did them. Now we as tax payers, pay people to take drugs and provide a save injection site to do as of right now a illegal activity.
It will only be a matter of time, takeing drugs will be legal.
If we as humans must accept eveyone has the right do do what ever they want then we should close one or two streets every night for all the drunk drivers and speeders to have a place to break the law legally. With any luck they would only kill them self or each other. But that is wrong as they have the right to drive drunk and kill others.
I do not swear or drink as that is my right, and expect others to respect that, when they are on my tuff. However I also would not go to a bar and expect others there to stop swearing or drinking on my account. I just choose not to go where people are doing things I don't feel are right for me.
I do know no one has become a drunk without having a first drink.
I also know it is hard to bully or put another person down without using a bunch or swear words. I have listened to people getting dressed down at work it's not nice. I have also heard the bullies and the same thrash language is used.
So your one little word or phrase if it was left unsaid may just may help people show a little respect for themselfs and others.
I know I am in the minority in this. But it works for me.
Next time you read about a girl killing herself because she was bullied by her so called friends, and see the words used to make her feel worthless.Tell me again how swearing is solving any problems and make the world a better place to live in.

12Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:12 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great post.

13Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:13 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

In my original post it says :world events have triggered this latest rant.

World events. Murder and mayhem in a foreign country in reaction to a supposed piece of American made film making fun or saying negative things about Allah. Violence and death because the HONOUR of their god was slighted.

Terrorism: (my definition) To be ready and willing, at any moment, to react to every imagined slight with violence and extremism. TO my way of thinking, what is the basic ingredient for a terrorist? The idea that he is above reproach, what he does is above reproach, how he believes and lives, is above reproach and an extreme righteousness in his entire world view. WHen anyone marches through life convinced, unshakably, that what they believe is RIGHT, then they have all the makings of a terrorist.

I do not feel the term 'oh my god' is swearing. I simply cannot see it that way. And for those who have decided that it IS swearing...should I make THEIR opinion ALWAYS more important than my own? This goes back to the original world event that started this thread, violence over invented insult. There are people on this earth who INSIST that no one offend them because they DESIRE war and killing and LOOK for reasons to harm someone, to defend their honour and it starts with insisting that they never be offended!

I know I am having a bad time making myself clear. If you choose to never say oh my god, because you consider it swearing, that is absolutely fine. THat isn't even what this thread is about. But if I choose to say oh my god, which I do NOT consider swearing and do not intend insult or attack when I say it, and still you feel insulted or attacked when you hear it, then the problem is yours! ANd people (cultures, societies, countries, religions) who slink about seeking insult to justify their evil violence need the entire world to stand up and INSULT them and then thwack them with a big stinking stick!

I feel there is room for me to say oh my god. There is room for you NOT to say oh my god. THe reasons we each do or don't DOES NOT MATTER. But that anyone, anywhere, thinks religious insult is a basis for murder MAKES ME INSANE WITH HELPLESS RAGE. And that is what I was trying to get off my chest way back at the start of this. Anger, shock, disgust and horrible, crushing sadness over what a mess humanity generally is.

14Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:11 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hear ya' Uno.
To be wonderfully politlcally incorrect... I do love being not PC .... Im damn tired of other ggroups/cultures coming ito Canada, and the US and the Netherlands and Sweden etc etc etc, and demanding that the resident nation change to be just like the country the incomer has run away from. Im damn tired people having to worry about being "sensitive" to the WANTS of some people who come here. Im tired of many groups getting preferential treatment and special privilages because they are going to be a pain in the butt if they dont get it and our politicians and Multiculturally sensitive people want the be all things to all people. Im tired of cool culture centering around being all Gangsta and ghetto and tough and greedy but I have to kiss up to keep from being labled as a "hater". It has spilled over to the point that I am now hypersensitive to not doing certain things, but at the same time I have to smile and be tollerant of bad maners, repression, intollerance, bigotism etc etc etc. In the end, I end up lowering my standards and behaving like the bullies around me, or I end up frustrated and over sensitive.

We have lost common curtousy and sence and gained "bad is cool" or My Religion means I can kill you for the slightest thing.

15Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Amen, Arctic. Amen.

16Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:08 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've thought of this before. My own various ancestors came over and set about assimilating, learn English, make sure the kids learn English, heck some of them anglicized their name. They kept their traditions going at home but noone was asked to pander to them. Sigh Things have changed.

On the subject of swearing, there was a very interesting documentary about it on CBC radio a while back. I can't find it now but they spoke with different sorts of experts that had information on all different aspects of it. For example, swearing comes from the area of the brain associated with movement, not the speech area like one would imagine (this is probably why people with Turret's spontaneously swear, it's like a twitch). Swearing also helps block out pain. They discussed an experiment where people held their elbows in ice water. They were all given a word to repeat but one group had some harmless word like "brown" or "flat", the ones who had the swear word were able to stand it longer (women something like 37% longer).

Although, this article suggests that we get more pain blocking if we don't swear too much on a regular basis.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

17Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:09 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

COOOOOL!
HOw fascinating!!!!

Sadly I think I may have used up all the pain blocking properties of a few choice words a loooong time ago... pale

18Oh my Gordon! Empty Re: Oh my Gordon! Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 am

lazyfarmer

I agree thing are not changing for the better. When we see changes that are not good, what do we do about it? It makes me sick when I go the meeting to discuss some change and no one stands up to give their opposition, and vote for it. Then after the meet people stand out side and complain that something was done they didn't like. I ask why didn't you say something? They say the people proposing what ever seemed to know what they were talking about and since no one else spoke up, I didn't want to rock the boat. We get what we allow.
Allow me to give a little personal account. Years ago I sat on the then Alberta Cattle Commission, it was my first AGM. When it came time for the resolutions, each one was read and explained, then the usual process of calling for opossition, no one would say anything and some of these thing were off the wall. Being new and taking my responsiblity to reprsent my people I started speaking against some stupid resolutions. At coffee time one of the board took me aside and asked what I was doing as this was taking to long. I explain I was letting the board know how my people felt on these resolutions. He said they already knew what cattle producers wanted because the board told producers what they wanted. The next resolution was on starting the process of putting a tag in every cow and tracking them,( at a small cost to the producer). It was explained that cattle producers proposed this and would be good for them, in reallity it was the board that proposed the tagging. Only one person stood up to say NO, ME. When the Western Producer wrote about it I was Quote as being opposed. I think tagging is still stupid. Did it stop farmers from losing millions on contamiation?
If I ship a cow with no tag I get penalized. What happens went you contaminate millions of pounds of food?
If you don't like something stand up. We complain about goverment, then re-elect the same people. We the people need to get a brain and take back control. Right is Right, accepted may be right or wrong.
My father was wounded in WW1 defending the Right, and peoples right to be free of fear and live a descent life.
I would not fight now to defend what Canada has become.
What would you fight for?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum