Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WLR 'Ameraucana' rooster and his hens. BLR project.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is the rooster that Coopslave sent to me to continue my BLR Ameraucana project. He is a handsome (when not moulting) and friendly fella. His hens he produced are in the third picture, roosting. He also has a couple sons with identical coloration, but better combs and tail sets. Both sons and daughters were too shy to get a good photo of. I have 6 hens. Two splash, two blue, and two in that reddish buff color. I used the chicken calculator and I think my best bet is breeding his handsome sons to the blue hens. I also have a son of my original BLR boy who is RLW with very light lacing. I may use him as well. I looked at all the combinations of colors I could get and I think I have a long uphill climb. I am wondering if introducing BLR Wyandotte would help or set me back. I am getting nice blue eggs. Well, at the very least, I am having a lot of fun with this. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Sue, he ended up being quite the specimen! Laughing So glad he is producing better than himself!!

Very glad I was able to help with your project. Hopefully you have enough to move forward with. You know I want some of them when you are finally 'there'! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

Can't help you with your project, but they sure are gorgeous!

! He looks like an upper class, full sized Fabio!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Okay okay... wishful thinking, but I LOVE your boy's colouration and the girls are beautiful.

Love to see you progress

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am wondering if introducing BLR Wyandotte would help or set me back.

Pretty sure that would give you a cusion/strawberry combed, green legged green egg layer with I don't know what for body carriage. You'd lose dominance in the beard too. Sounds like it would be a ton of work to breed it back to have the colour you want with ameraucana characteristics again.

http://countrythyme.ca

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Yeah but who wants a giant frost-bite magnet of a comb anyway? Hehe, just kidding. Those are some beautifull birds! I especially like the red streaked hens in the third picture, do keep us up to date on how it turns out! If you can get it relatively stabilised and are willing to risk shipping eggs, I'd sure buy some!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme Farm wrote:
I am wondering if introducing BLR Wyandotte would help or set me back.

Pretty sure that would give you a cusion/strawberry combed, green legged green egg layer with I don't know what for body carriage. You'd lose dominance in the beard too. Sounds like it would be a ton of work to breed it back to have the colour you want with ameraucana characteristics again.

My thoughts as well. But you know, there are plenty of Wyandottes with poor bodies that look leaner with lower tail sets.

RLW x blue gives you hundreds of color combinations, but few are BLR. I could breed for ages without ever re achieving the BLR color again. I am wondering if it would be easier to get the color and then work out the body faults. I have found in the past that you can get the beard back pretty easily, but the other traits...I don't know.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum