Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Someone tell me if this is normal (Pics included

+2
k.r.l
crazy cluckies
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

crazy cluckies

crazy cluckies
New Here

Now it seems to me they may have the frizzle gene. I don't know if i should breed them still... both rooster and hens are like this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

If any one would like to check us out pls do. We now have fb page:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have had that happen in the past to a broody hen or two...
Not sure what caused it, but the feathers went back to normal once molted and the offspring never showed any signs of it.

crazy cluckies

crazy cluckies
New Here

I hope that is the case here. Thank u very much. I will wait until they molt and see what happens.

crazy cluckies

crazy cluckies
New Here

That is interesting why they may do this. Something to investigate. Question Thank u again Very Happy

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've found some suggestions that this may be caused by protein deficiency. I haven't been able to find anything definitive yet though.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

crazy cluckies

crazy cluckies
New Here

I just got these guys a couple of weeks ago and they are hatchery stock. So should i breed them and develop the frizzle in them or could it be what was suggested that they might molt out of this. Thank for the very informative information. I also bought buff as well.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

So tell us about the white laced red ones, CC. Did they also come from a hatchery? Which one?

crazy cluckies

crazy cluckies
New Here

Yes they both came from the hatchery. I was told they are buff. I'am still doing my homework on the breed. As far I have been reading they are a new colour to the breed that they have been developing. These buff have really nice lacing to them. I can't remember what hatchery...its not one of usuals. Isn't that awful. I'am going to have to message them back again and ask.lol So let me get back to you. Thank you for all the wonderful advise. So very much appreciate this. Very helpful Very Happy

crazy cluckies

crazy cluckies
New Here

K just looked them up Chamois sebrights.

Sebas49

Sebas49

I have raised Sebrights for many years. I didn't have time to read all the literature that was written but the frizzle or curled hackle feathers do occur on Sebrights because of a few factors. It is not something that can be controlled.
I will tell what I know about them. If you just got them a couple of weeks ago to me they look like they were raised inside in a coop for a few reasons. Sebrights should have very dark colored heads in their combs, wattles and face. When they are raised inside the pigmentation will lighted up, so to me they look like inside raised birds in artificial lighting conitions. If they were not raised inside then that is not good, because the color is too red. They should be a mulberry color. The other thing, birds that are raised inside will have very dry feathers which will cause them to curl up. The most important thing about Sebrights is that the males are hen feathered. Also Sebright feathers are more round and shorter than normal chicken feathers. If the feather is not wide and is narrow and been short, they will curl up much easier. Short narrow feathers will curl up easy. If you wash the bird the feathers will lay down nicely and hopefully stay like that. The light colored ones are Chamois but are not a recognized color yet by the APA.

http://www.c-rducks.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Though I do not raise this breed the info is fascinating. I hope Perry Schofield will chime in. He has been working with the Chamois color.

crazy cluckies

crazy cluckies
New Here

Thank u sebas49... They were raised in a quonset but had access to outside, but i don't think they went out much. Here they are in chicken tractor. So they are outside on a regular basis. So i hope this helps to improve them and there colouring. They are just lovely little birds. Nice chickenality's lol. Thank u everyone for all the great information and the help with these little guys. The pics i post are a few weeks ago when i first got them. That could explain why the gold lace rooster doesn't have that much of a frizzle look now. I will try post recent pics of them to get a better idea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum