Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bantam Americaunas, Japanese Bantams, Buckeye hens wanted

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Do you know anyone raising these breeds who has any for sale, grown and fully feathered? I am looking for a trio of Japanese Bantams, the rejects with long legs preferred (not with the lethal gene though) and a Bantam Americauna pair, plus some young Buckeye pullets. I am in Elk Point (northeastern) Alberta. Thank ewe

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought you didn't like chickens and were getting out of them?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I still think you should consider Guineas if your main reason to have chickens is still bug control. They aren't nearly as scary and noisy as people were making them out to be. Mine mind they own business, are quiet at night and do an amazing bug eating job!

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I still think you should consider Guineas if your main reason to have chickens is still bug control. They aren't nearly as scary and noisy as people were making them out to be. Mine mind they own business, are quiet at night and do an amazing bug eating job!

I agree, Guineas can get annoying if you are in their space at night and they are alarming because of it, but most of the time they are good about keeping to themselves. Mine forage very well, hardly eating my feed all spring/summer/fall, they are killer on Grasshoppers and maple bugs! I believe they do a good job on the ticks around here as well because the only time the dog gets a tick on him is when he goes running through the back field where the guineas do not go. They are very winter hardy, mine are in an old barn with no heat, just a bit of food, a roost and a bit of straw on the ground. They make many miles in a day and although are not the best parents in the world they do raise a few babies for me each year.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

I will keep a few chickens for bug control and eggs. I got Muscovy ducks yesterday for bug control as well. My hens just hatched babies, one with 8 and one with 2, so I cannot say I am getting entirely out of chickens just yet. I do not have winter coop but will build something to keep them warm. The best chickens I have are the Americana Polish crosses. They never come to the house and always forage all day. I did more research on foragers and Japanese bantams kept coming up. I will try 2 guineas next year, Sue. I am just not chicken crazy. I appreciate the chickens for the work they do, but I do not adore them or want to pet them. I will keep a dozen or so.
I think I posted this in the wrong place though. Sorry.

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The best foragers we have had is the Egyptian Fayoumi. They also tend to be a bit on the "wild" side so wouldn't be standing on your doorstep as some breeds do. They really are awesome little bug eaters. Just my two cents worth.

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I thought japanese bantams make good kids pets? Maybe I'm wrong, they just look cute and cuddly. They are also easily eaten by birds of prey and other predators, so maybe not ideal free ranging chickens?

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum