Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I just tried to burn the house down.... :(

+6
chickadee
ChickenTeam
uno
rosewood
vic's chicks
coopslave
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Put a bunch of old eggs on to boil to feed back to the chooks. Forgot about them and went to the store. Embarassed Dropped some lunch off to hubby who is cutting hay, good thing I didn't stay for a chant!
Came back and parked in the carport. Could smell something burning and thought as I drove the truck through the field it was some grass underneath. Came into a house full of smoke!! Shocked Remembered what I had done, left it on HIGH too! Got the pot off the stove and outside with smoke billowing out of it and eggs exploding in it. Geeez, I wonder if I will get this smell out of the house?

Anyone know if I will be able to save my very nice stainless pot? I am afraid to go look at it. Rolling Eyes I imagine it is very burnt on the bottom, both inside and out. It is my favourite sized one too.

vic's chicks

I have burnt so many pots. put something on the stove, go to the studio ,get lost in a painting forget about it. My husband is a master at getting burn off of pots. First we put baking soda and water and boil for awhile. Let it sit all day if you can. then he uses one of those stainless steel pot scrubbers, the kind that are all little coils. It Has worked so far. good luck

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had a similar incident this week. My wife decided to try something new with peas being dried/baked in the oven. We're in a new living arrangement now with 2 houses, but the gkids were eating here. For some reason my wife went to the new house for something. I was finishing my supper when the smoke alarms went off. Not being terribly well endowed in the ability to smell I hadn't noticed that the house was filled with smoke. I turned off the stove and spent the next few minutes running between the smoke alarm button and windows. My wife accused me of being on WCPS and not paying attention to the kitchen.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

sing a cloth.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm having posts disappear today. The suggestion was to use salt, dampened and rubbed on the stain with a cloth.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you didn't burn the house down!

Many years ago little brother was making a grilled cheese sandwich when he left to do something else. Grilled cheese was, of course, on high, how else does one get that charred flavour? He rushed back to the kitchen when the smoke alarm went off and ran out the back door, flaming pan in hand. He set it on the first surface he could see, a low hanging portion of the roof. Asphalt roof. That hot pan melted itself into the asphalt instantly. IT was there for quite a while until someone pried it off and replaced the ruined shingles.

When in doubt, place all burning food on the roof. This makes perfect sense.

Three times this year I have done that. I put some meat on to cook in a frying pan and went outside....saw smoke and heard the detector going off from outside and ran to the house. It was a cast iron pan and was almost red hot. The meat was a blackened little bit, still smoking. I put this outside immediately and opened every door and window and turned on the fans. The house stunk badly for weeks. But did I learn...
The next time was eggzactly like coopslave...eggs to boil.
And the last time was chicken on the burner.
Now, I will not allow myself to go outside and leave anything on the stove with the element turned on. I was fortunate that I did not burn the house down and the stench lasts forever. I was able to clean the pots with baking soda in all cases. I make a paste and leave it on overnight, then scrub in the morning, sometimes using a spoon to dislodge large particles. It take a long time, but with patience, everything came off and the pots were still useable. Glad I am not the only one....

My old house would have benefitted a burn down, and the one time I accidently did, I didn't have the wherewithall to not put it out.

Had a pot of something cooking and had balanced the spatula (plastic) on the handle. It slipped off without me hearing it and all the sudden the room lit up and there was flames to the ceiling. House stunk for DAYS. All the cats were standing right by the door as if to say they didn't do it and the dog was hot on my tail; could I just walk out and pretend to do yard work with the cats for a few minutes until the flames burst through the roof? No. I had my foot stitched up and in a stand-twist-grab ONLY GOOD PAIR OF JEANS!!!!!- step-step-smother motion, I just about cried.

Glad everything's alright! I think we've all done it for sure.

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

My daughter is the one who likes to ruin my pots. The worst incident was last year when I was out she was melting butter and forgot about it. Her older brother came into the kitchen to see flames shooting to the ceiling. He grabbed the pot, opened the back door and dropped it into the snow. Unfortunately, the butter splashed back out onto his bare feet. It took a couple of trips to emergency and lots of care and time for it to heal. She is more careful now. I was actually coming up the driveway when it happened, so was able to get him to the hospital fairly quickly. I keep my eyes open at second hand stores for pots, to replace the ruined ones and just-in-case!

chickadee

chickadee

Happy to hear your house is ok! I haven't had a fire, just a really wet bathroom floor as I forgot to turn the tub tap off before I went out to do chores! lol
I have burned some eggs though, and that's something nasty tongue

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

So glad you didn't burn the house down and that you are ok..it is such a sick feeling to see all that smoke!

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh boy. That reminds me of a time I accidentally burnt dry some potatoes on the stove. What a nightmare. I stunk up the whole house for a couple days, but the pot did come clean with some elbow grease. Glad your house is still in one piece!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I am still finding little bits of cooked egg all over the kitchen from the exploding bombs I produced. Embarassed

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Binkeyroo

My older sister almost burnt our house down a few years back. She was heating eyebrow wax on the stove and it caught on fire so she picks up the little pot and goes to put it in the sink. It was christmas time and I had a giant santa head with all that curly beard and hair everywhere hanging over the kitchen window. Needles to say santa went up in flames really fast and she was so shocked it took her a while to react. I came home to a dead wet santa in the sink and my kitchen celing burnt. We no longer use any santa decos in our house for christmas as I have found how highly flammable he is.
Happy your house is ok!!!

HigginsRAT wrote:Got shelled?

I think we may be seeing something of moment here people, something of a record maybe. Two words? That's IT?? That's ALL you had to say Tara?? Razz

I have a co-worker whose wife put a turkey carcass into a pot to make soup. She left the house, forgetting said soup fixings, and came home from shopping to a house RUINED! Like they had to get a restoration company in, drywall ripped out, flooring, window coverings, carpet... it was a demo to the studs! Turkey is, I guess, greasy, and the house was almost a write-off.

So I guess count yourself somewhat lucky Coopslave. A little egg on your (pl)face is a small price to pay. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum