Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My wife just found a retro site. Lots of old pictures.

I've seen these for cats but those Victorians might have been on to something.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:56 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Views of the year 2000 from 1910. Some of them are actually pretty close like being able to see someone while talking over a distance (interesting that they all still used the grammaphone type equipment). They sure thought we would be flying a lot. I like the people seeing a horse on display (because, presumably, they never get to see one lol)

3Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:05 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Husband Tests Bullet Proof Glass With His Wife. How many of you ladies would do this?

4Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:07 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

A mechanical horse, 1933. Hard to believe these never caught on.

5Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:39 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Those baby cages make me nervous, imagine how it would make a baby feel in those dizzying heights? Imagine trying to use one now! They'd be great for poultry though.
How the future is perceived is interesting. Women still wear skirts -lol
Thanks for sharing.

6Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:57 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Some great ones! I will always think of those baby cages when i read of yet another toddler falling through an unsecured screen in a highrise. i can see why someone thought of it....

And our neighbours used to lock their toddler boys in the dog run for the day when the adults went to town. It was a bit of a scandal at the time (late 60s) but the boys were safe from bears and cougars and the parents could get to town and get the shopping done without two wild toddlers to slow them down.

Different times, different concerns...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:39 pm

ars800

ars800

Fowler wrote:My wife just found a retro site. Lots of old pictures.

I've seen these for cats but those Victorians might have been on to something.

And they said Michael Jackson was crazy for hanging his child out the window. Maybe he just needed a cage? Shocked

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

8Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:35 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good one, ars800! Yeah, baby cage, someone needed to make fodder for Dr. Freud's therapy sofa later in life! Yikes! Psychological derangement, here we come!

I remember putting ours in her play penitentiary, draping it with a mosquito net so I could mix concrete. She stood there, the mosquito net drapping off her head, and screamed her fool face off. I felt like I was being a bad mom. Thank god the sound of the cement mixer drowned out her shrieks. The neighours would have thought we were killing her. I guess those cage babies were still given the 40 proof colic water. Ah, those were the days of gin and babies.

9Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:30 pm

ars800

ars800

uno wrote:I guess those cage babies were still given the 40 proof colic water. Ah, those were the days of gin and babies.

LOL, yes, those were the days. It occurred to me many years ago that the "medicine" I used to get when I was younger and had stomach problems, tastes a lot like Gibsons Finest Rye. I seemed to make it through childhood OK but it might explain my fondness for spirits.

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

10Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Empty Re: Baby Cage Who Would Have Thought? Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:42 am

I could have used that cage for my son. I had to tie his leash to my wrist or he would disappear. I found him in places no mother would like to find a baby either, like sitting on top of the stove playing with the dials, or under the car, or in the middle of the highway (all true). When he was 3 he disappeared. I called the police and the whole city was out hunting for him. The nice policeman said usually if kids are not found in 20 minutes, they are not found. Great. 25 minutes had gone by. They checked every pool in the neighbourhood by helicopter by then (though my son was like a fish in water) and he was not found. My paraplegic father was out in his truck, the red truck my son loved, combing the streets. I was told to stay home.

What had happened was he followed me to school where I was to pick up his sister from kindergarten and he was to stay with Grandma. I dropped something and he saw it, ran after me to pick it up and give it back . He made his way to school unscathed but school was out. He stood in the hall outside kindergarten and started to cry. The K teacher recognized him, called me, but I was outside frantic, so she began to walk him home when Grandpa spotted them and my son ran to the truck.
When he was home safe, we all sat and cried, even my father, whom I had only seen cry once in my entire life. That is why they made baby cages...for kids like him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum