Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Smaller poultry shows/classes

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Smaller poultry shows/classes Empty Smaller poultry shows/classes Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:39 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a sneak peek at the Millarville exhibitor's entry book. There are so many categories...flowers, crafts, vegetables, photography...there will be lots to see. Very Happy
So anyway, in the poultry division, the breeds are not broken down into varieties. I'll copy the list for standard breeds here:

Categories
1) Old Male 2) Old Female 3) Young Male 4) Young Female
Definitions
A.C. - Any Colour A.O.C. - Any Other Colour A.V. - Any Variety A.O.V. - Any Other Variety
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN WATER CONTAINERS
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Class Division 0300 – Standard Chicken
0301 - Americana
0302 - Australorp
0303 - Brahma A.V.
0304 - Cochin A.V.
0305 - Commercial Layer Type
0307 - Leghorn A.C.
0308 - Rhode Island Red
0309 - Orpington A.C.
0310 - Polish A.V.
0316 - Wyandotte A.V.
0317 - Any Other Variety

I'm wondering how this works for judging. I assume all color varieties are then competing against each other within the breed class. Does this mean that, for example a splash cochin could beat out an APA recognized color like black? Or at judging time are the blacks, buffs, blues, whites, splash etc judged from amongst their color groups first? (If there is more than 1 of each color)

Also, if there is no category for your breed, when filling out the entry do you still specify what breed it is? Or do you just put down AOV if showing a Chantecler for example?

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Smaller poultry shows/classes Empty Re: Smaller poultry shows/classes Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:11 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:I had a sneak peek at the Millarville exhibitor's entry book. There are so many categories...flowers, crafts, vegetables, photography...there will be lots to see. Very Happy
So anyway, in the poultry division, the breeds are not broken down into varieties. I'll copy the list for standard breeds here:

Categories
1) Old Male 2) Old Female 3) Young Male 4) Young Female
Definitions
A.C. - Any Colour A.O.C. - Any Other Colour A.V. - Any Variety A.O.V. - Any Other Variety
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN WATER CONTAINERS
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Class Division 0300 – Standard Chicken
0301 - Americana
0302 - Australorp
0303 - Brahma A.V.
0304 - Cochin A.V.
0305 - Commercial Layer Type
0307 - Leghorn A.C.
0308 - Rhode Island Red
0309 - Orpington A.C.
0310 - Polish A.V.
0316 - Wyandotte A.V.
0317 - Any Other Variety

I'm wondering how this works for judging. I assume all color varieties are then competing against each other within the breed class. Does this mean that, for example a splash cochin could beat out an APA recognized color like black? Or at judging time are the blacks, buffs, blues, whites, splash etc judged from amongst their color groups first? (If there is more than 1 of each color)

Also, if there is no category for your breed, when filling out the entry do you still specify what breed it is? Or do you just put down AOV if showing a Chantecler for example?

I would say you have it figured out correctly.
Which means it can be very interesting to see what happens.

3Smaller poultry shows/classes Empty Re: Smaller poultry shows/classes Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Kathy
If they are having a APA sanctioned show each variety will be judged within it's breed. The best of those birds will be awarded Best of Variety, then all of the Best of Varieties(ONLY regconized varieties will be able to compete for Best of Breed) will compete for Best of Breed. So basically if the color variety is not a regconized color with APA it cannot compete further than Best of Variety
Hope this explains it.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

4Smaller poultry shows/classes Empty Re: Smaller poultry shows/classes Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Heather is totally correct. All the birds will compete in their respective classes, i.e. American, Asiatic, English and so on. Tunder the he White Chantecler will go under the American class and Chantecler Breed and White variety. Ken Crebin, Poultry person for the show, knows the class well enough that they will be slotted into the correct class. If some birds end up in the wrong class by mistake, we will make sure they are in the correct class before we judge that class. The main thing is to get the bird entered so the organizers can have a cage for it. We will follow the APA rules. Enter the birds according to the APA Classes, Breed, Variety would definitely be the best if there no class number for it.

http://www.c-rducks.com

5Smaller poultry shows/classes Empty Re: Smaller poultry shows/classes Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:35 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

6Smaller poultry shows/classes Empty Re: Smaller poultry shows/classes Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:51 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I guess they haven't had the time to change the forms? They look like the same ones they had last year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum