Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Was "Hurray for GMO's!" - Now GMO - What do you think?

+12
debbiej
poplar girl
Bowker Acres
Arcticsun
uno
HigginsRAT
gubi
Schipperkesue
ChicoryFarm
ipf
Country Thyme Farm
Fowler
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I would just like to thank Thank You everyone for being civil on here about GMO. I am actually starting to understand what all the heated discussions are about. I might even learn something new

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I usually steer clear of GMO discussions because, while I'm very leery of the whole thing, I don't honestly know enough to add anything useful to the discussion.
I did come across this article that might put a more positive spin on how this science could hlep save lives:

July 11, 2012
Brazil launches production of GM mosquitoes against dengue

Via Brazzil Magazine.com: Brazil to Produce Close to 20 Million GM Mosquitoes a Month to Fight Dengue.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The Fat Ewe wrote:The questions about GMO safety and testing are all answered.
I'd just like to note that this statement is akin to saying "the questions about genetics are all answered"; this is , well, just not true. Remotely.

Genetic modification is, as noted in earlier postings, an extremely complex and variable topic. While some specific applications may seem clearly "black", others are just as clearly "white"; it depends on the host organism, the gene being inserted, and the environment in which the modified organism will live, as well as others.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:I usually steer clear of GMO discussions because, while I'm very leery of the whole thing, I don't honestly know enough to add anything useful to the discussion.

Likewise KathyS. I hadn't even opened this cause I just hate how they always end. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and would like to thank all that have contributed to this. It was an interesting read with people being respectful even if they did not agree with other things said.

I may have a look at some of the links and I may not. Remember not to believe everything you read on the interenet, I think you can find many different sites that will confirm or argue any case you may have.

Thanks again everyone, very nice to see.

ipf wrote:
The Fat Ewe wrote:The questions about GMO safety and testing are all answered.
I'd just like to note that this statement is akin to saying "the questions about genetics are all answered"; this is , well, just not true. Remotely.

Genetic modification is, as noted in earlier postings, an extremely complex and variable topic. While some specific applications may seem clearly "black", others are just as clearly "white"; it depends on the host organism, the gene being inserted, and the environment in which the modified organism will live, as well as others.
"Science can, and has, given us answers to the question: “Are genetically modified foods safe?”

Next time you hear a scientist asserting that gene splicing is safe, remind yourself that there is no scientific evidence for that statement. We are profoundly ignorant about what we are doing to the code that generates all life. And unfortunately some scientists, including those entrusted with public safety, are willing to lie.
.psrast.org/biotechist.htm

You see, what I meant is that the answers are out there, hidden from the public. Tests have been done and the results are fudged.

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

gubi wrote: Those are then mostly exported to Asia as the North American people don't care enough to pay one cent more for non GMO.

hmmm, and yet many Canadian poultry farmers are paying more for their non-GMO feed.

When driving across the prairies a couple years ago, I couldn't help notice that every grain elevator I saw had the same corporate logo on it. With all the farmers serving the same corporate master, I can't help but wonder how any of those farmers could have any idea what us Canadians are willing to pay. Nor could they have any clue which products we would choose is given a choice. And this is the core of the problem, we are, for the most part, being denied the opportunity to choose.

I believe in the notion of live and let live. If others could enjoy the benefits of GMO foods without compromising my right to enjoy non-GMO foods, I wouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately, due to cross pollination, this isn't the case. Unless the corporations can control their creations, they have no right releasing them into the world.

http://www.OmegaBlueFarms.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum