Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Raising turkey poults on chick grower

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Raising turkey poults on chick grower Empty Raising turkey poults on chick grower Wed May 30, 2012 7:47 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have very unexpectedly been offered two broad breasted turkey poults from a friend of mine. She is willing to raise them to 4 weeks of age and then hand them over to me.

I would like to take them but the only way it can work for me is to keep them with some young pullets for 12 weeks minimum. This means that from 4 weeks to 16 weeks the turkey poults will be on Chick Grower.

Will this be detrimental to their development as well as their weight when they are processed and would it affect the quality of their meat?

I do understand it is not ideal to raise turkeys with chickens as they risk getting blackhead but I am willing to take the chance as I know there is a very good chance they will be fine.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have raised chicks and turkeys together all the time. And fed them the same.
Of course my birds are heritage ones so not getting huge size out of them doesnt bother me, but not sure with the BBB variety if it will affect their skeleton or not to be on a lower protein. You might have to supplement them with some treats to add the extra protein they need.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I raise my turkeys and chicks together also. I feed my turkeys and chicks Turkey Starter as Turkeys do need the extra protein and vit/minerals that are in the feed and it dosent hurt the chicks at all. Thats just what I do.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Hidden and Grandma Art.

Still though, I will have to force the turkey poults onto grower at 4 weeks when they come to me, as my pullets will be 3 months old by then and on grower already.

So is it not good to switch the poults to grower at 4 weeks old? I read you should wait till their 8 weeks.

If we have Turkey grower at our feed supply store I'll get that, otherwise it'll be chick grower.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I feed all my birds pullet grower...Chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, guinea's and pea fowl. I just have too many birds to fart around with different feeds, I also mix oats with it Very Happy

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Considering the extreme difficulty I have finding un-medicated turkey starter let alone organic, I have been feeding my last batch with regular chick starter and I really see no problems. I try my best to supplement all my chicks with a boiled egg protein boost as well though, and I put them on pasture as soon as humanly possible too. They will certainly grow slower, but I am starting to learn as I continue to read and experience more that if you don't concern yourself with butchering early, most any bird will develop well in time if the protein is a little off anyway.

http://countrythyme.ca

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is all such useful information. Thank you so much. Never had turkeys before and really look forward to having my own heritage trio one day. As I said this offer for these Broad Breasted came unexpectedly so I'm scrambling a bit here for information to see if I can pull it off.

Country Thyme, I think given these birds being offered are the Broad Breasted, a.k.a. heavy weight birds, I can afford to not fatten them up right out of the gate. So good to know in time any bird will get to the size one wants.

Cheers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum