Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vet RX for poultry

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vet RX for poultry Empty Vet RX for poultry Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:34 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Has anyone heard of Vet-rx, used it (what for exactly?) and know where to buy it?

2Vet RX for poultry Empty Re: Vet RX for poultry Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:59 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just came across this while looking for another thread, but even though it was posted quite a while ago, thought I'd respond.
I had never heard of this product until I was at the Wetaskiwin show in February and the roo I had brought to show ended up with a bit of a runny nose.
Thanks to Marsha and Guido, I got myself a little bottle of VetRX. It is great for treating respiratory symptoms by applying it directly to the nostrils, then adding a few drops to their water. I took my rooster home as I was worried about him not feeling well, but by the next morning he was right as rain. Smile
I'll always keep a little bottle of this on hand in my vet box from now on.
It's available from Northstar Doves.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Vet RX for poultry Empty Re: Vet RX for poultry Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Rosies

Would this Vet Rx be something that could work good on turkey sinusitis?

4Vet RX for poultry Empty Re: Vet RX for poultry Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:07 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:I just came across this while looking for another thread, but even though it was posted quite a while ago, thought I'd respond.
I had never heard of this product until I was at the Wetaskiwin show in February and the roo I had brought to show ended up with a bit of a runny nose.
Thanks to Marsha and Guido, I got myself a little bottle of VetRX. It is great for treating respiratory symptoms by applying it directly to the nostrils, then adding a few drops to their water. I took my rooster home as I was worried about him not feeling well, but by the next morning he was right as rain. Smile
I'll always keep a little bottle of this on hand in my vet box from now on.
It's available from Northstar Doves.

Golly Kathy, I'm trying to remember why I even posted this......and I just can't recall. I'm so glad you found the thread though and resurrected it. I have to do some more mental digging.

5Vet RX for poultry Empty Re: Vet RX for poultry Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 am

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is great for cleaning blood or scabs off combs from a bird who has been fighting or picked on.

6Vet RX for poultry Empty Re: Vet RX for poultry Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:04 am

msmall

msmall

Also works well for scaly leg mites, vit. A definicency and we also use it on the birds before showing.

7Vet RX for poultry Empty Re: Vet RX for poultry Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:36 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

VetRx

SPECIES:
Poultry, Bantams, Ducks, Turkeys, Geese, Game birds,

USED FOR:
Temporary relief of respiratory infections, colds, wheezing and sniffles
Mites and Ear Canker
Scaly leg, eye worm

VETERINARY REMEDY

100%
Natural
Net Contents:
2fl. oz. (59 ml)

INGREDIENTS:
3.3% (V-V) Alcohol, Canada Balsam,
Camphor, Oil Rosemary,
blended in a Corn Oil Base.

MAY BE USED EXTERNALLY
AND INTERNALLY
FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY

TO WARM:
Place bottle in a container of warm water and let it stand for a few minutes, or warm quickly over medium heat. Make sure cap spout is in open (upright) position. Test temperature before using to make certain animal is not uncomfortable.

TO USE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE:
Always shake well before using so ingredients will be evenly dispersed.

SPECIAL: DROPPER TOP:
The top is designed to disperse VetRx one drop at a time for convenient measurement of small doses.

Prepared for
VetRx labs.
(Div. of Goodwinol)
Pierce, Colorado 80650

For more than 100years the proven VetRx formula has been used as a remedy in veterinary applications. Many poultry breeders and raisers report excellent results in preventing disease in birds returning from shows, where disease may have been contracted in baskets.

CAUTION:
For Animal Use Only. Not For Human Consumption. Use Only As Directed!!!!

A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY.
Most treatments use a few drops at a time, or recommend a solution of VetRx mixed with water, so this package provides many treatments.
Contents:
2 Fluid Ounces (59 ml)

Species:
FOR STANDARD AND RARE
POULTRY , INCLUDING
•BANTAMS•DUCKS
•TURKEYS•GEESE
•GAME BIRDS

POULTRY REMEDY
INGREDIENTS: Made with 3.3% (V-V) Alcohol U.S.P.
This proven mixture contains
Canada Balsam, Camphor,
Oil Origanum, Oil Rosemary,
blended in a corn oil base.

DOSAGES AND PREPARING SOLUTION
The directions below apply to bantams and mature poultry of similar size, unless otherwise noted. For larger or smaller birds change dosage in proportion to size of bird.

Use VetRx warm, unless otherwise specified. To warm, open cap. Put bottle in small pan of water. Heat at medium temperature. always test temperature of product before applying internally or externally.

To prepare solution, add one teaspoonful of warm VetRx to one cup very warm water.
Note: VetRx mixes with hot water, but floats on top of cold water. This characteristic is helpful, as will be seen in treatment described.

COLDS AND ROUP
Symptoms of colds are watery eyes, droopy appearance, and an unusual tendency to shake or turn the head.

To aid in the treatment of minor respiratory conditions, drip VetRx solution into birds nostrils. Place a few drops of warm VetRx, straight from the bottle, down throat of infected bird at night. Also, rub some warm VetRx from the bottle over heads of birds and under birds wings.

If condition becomes worse, change to stronger solution of one teaspoonful of VetRx in one-half cup of hot water. Also, swab throat and wash head and eyes with this stronger solution four or five times per day. Keep nostrils, eyes and throat as clean as possible.
Flock Care-If colds infect many in a flock, spray warm VetRx solution over as many birds as possible.

Use any small sprayer, and keep sprayer in a pan of hot water before using. For birds in a flock that look droopy, rub warm VetRx full strength, over their heads, eyes and under their wings (When birds sleep with head under wings, vapors will help them).

Also provide plenty of clean, cool drinking water for the flock. Add a few drops of VetRx in drinking water each time you change it. It will float on the water and get on beaks and nostrils of birds each time they drink, helping to treat them.

Vaporizer-If you decide to use vaporizer, make certain it is a hot water model. Follow Manufacturer’s directions. Fill cup with VetRx full strength and operate vaporizer for at least one hour while birds are roosting.

Preventing colds and roup-To help prevent colds, sprinkle a few drops of VetRx in litter every four or five days. Add a few drops to drinking water every time you change it.

Rub one or two drops of warm, full-strength VetRx under wings. This will not only help birds when they put their heads under their wings, but their body heat will send aromatic vapors throughout the coop to help all the birds.

For show birds: To protect birds from colds while traveling to and from shows, place a few drops of warm VetRx under one wing. It does not stain, or harm feathers, wings, or color.

Rubbing VetRx on legs brings out the true color and helps protect from mites and lice. When birds return from shows, keep them separated from the flock for one week. Wash feet and heads with warm solution, and rub warm VetRx from the bottle on heads and under wings.

SCALEY LEGS
When shanks of birds appear dry, rub them with a small amount of cold VetRx from the bottle. In cases of heavy scale, apply cold VetRx and rub in thoroughly all over shanks and toes. Repeat every three days until legs are completely free of scale.

“EYE WORM”
This affliction is most harmful to game birds, which must have good, clear vision at all times. The tiny worm works it’s way under the third eyelid and causes a pus pocket to form. The bird will blink excessively and rub it’s eye at base of wing feather.

To treat, hold bird under your arm so you have both hands free. Open birds mouth while turning it’s head to the side and tilting down so you can see the cleft in the roof of the mouth.

Dip a small cotton swab into warm VetRx . Press swab right into cleft. Do this slowly. Watch for VetRx to come from each side of birds beak and pus coming from corner of each eye. Remove pus and rest bird for a while. You may have to repeat treatment two or three times before you see results.

TONIC FEEDER FOR BREEDING
This will help keep breeding birds healthy for maximum production of good breeding eggs.

Keep three quarts of lay mash indoors for a few hours until it reaches room temperature. Warm a bottle of VetRx. Pour entire bottle into mash and mix well by rubbing mash between hands. Let stand in a warm room overnight.

Next day, put this treated mash in container with a tight lid and let stand for about two weeks. Mix one tablespoon of treated mash, once daily, in feed for every twenty birds. If feeding ten birds or less, one teaspoon is enough. Be sure to stir treated mash thoroughly into feed.

GENERAL PRECAUTIONS
Of course, while you are treating poultry and other birds, you will want to follow the usual precautions.
Isolate infected birds as soon as possible.

Clean out all coops and lofts in which sick birds have been. Keep birds as clean and dry as possible and free from drafts.
Watch for evidences of disease in birds coming home from shows. Diseases are often contracted in baskets.

CAUTION
For animal use only. Not for human consumption. Use only as directed. Keep this and all medications out of reach of children. If symptoms persist for more than 48 hours consult a licensed veterinarian.

I found this on Fowl Facts Information Centre, and according to this is is recommended for turkeys as well. On another site this product was even being used effectively for respiratory conditions affecting goats. It seems to be quite the cure-all!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

8Vet RX for poultry Empty Re: Vet RX for poultry Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's great information Kathy. I'm looking for an all round good tonic for a bird when it's showing signs of not being well and the reason is not obvious. I have Poulvite and Electrovite but I wonder if this is better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum