Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Separate or Together

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Separate or Together Empty Separate or Together Wed May 23, 2012 4:26 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

We have a few varieties of chicks, all around 4-6 weeks old - 8 partridge chanteclers, a variety of ameraucanas (13) and ameraucana crosses (13), 5 brown leghorns, and last years crop of 6 white chanteclers and 2 speckled sussexes. We will need to build new housing on limited space, so my question is, should we separate hens and roosters, except for a couple of roosters who will stay with the hens, or separate the breeds. Right now I do not plan on getting into breeding, as we do not have the space, being on rented land. Some roosters will hit the freezer, and just as noted someone else's post, we seem to be doing good on the numbers of little ladies, as compared to last year. I sure appreciate any and all advice, as I just can't seem to make up my mind. Thanks!

2Separate or Together Empty Re: Separate or Together Wed May 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think you need to seperate the breeds, but if you do not plan on breeding then there is no reason to keep more than a couple roosters anyways.
I guess if you need to split them now while you grow the roosters out I would suggest splitting them from the hens, two reasons for this. One your hens and growing pullets will do much better without roosters around to pester them, and second you can feed a hotter ration to your roosters to bulk them up for the freezer and not have your hens getting too fat.
Then if you find once the roosters go to freezer camp that you are too cramped for one coop then I would seperate your chanties and sussex from the Ameraucana/leghorns. Keep like minded breeds together and you will have happy coops.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Separate or Together Empty Re: Separate or Together Wed May 23, 2012 7:00 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

As I am just learning about chickens, what makes leghorns/ameraucanas and sussexes/chanteclers like-minded with each other? And thanks for the other suggestions - they really help in the figuring-this-out process. The hardest part is sending the roosters to freezer camp - they are so beautiful, and it will be hard to decide.

4Separate or Together Empty Re: Separate or Together Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

your leghorn/ameracaunas are more layers and the other two are more meat size. They all work nicely for laying or eating if you have a smaller family though.

I agree with Hidden if you don't plan to breed no sense in seperating breeds, or worrying about keeping roos from each breed. I also agree it is much easier to fatten up the roos if they are seperated from the hens, and they seem to be much tastier if seperated in my opinion!

In picking your roos, I would try to get help (grab a standards book) and pick your roos as close to standards as possible, this way, if you do decide you want to breed in the future, you don't have to start from scratch. You would have at least one roo that matched up with some of your hens.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5Separate or Together Empty Re: Separate or Together Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always prefer a bachelor pen and then choose my breeding males from it. I actually keep all my boys (the ones I don't eat Very Happy ) in the bachelor pen until spring. Then the girls get a nice, restful winter before breeding season starts.

6Separate or Together Empty Re: Separate or Together Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Never thought of that coopslave!! Then you don't have to do the waiting period. Now you have me thinking where I can build a bachelor pad. I may try just putting my few boys in with my turkeys as they all seem to be quite happy with chickens in their pens. I could probably get away with this as I only have a few Roos and a couple of those will either hit the stew pot or be sold.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]