Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dopey turkeys??

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dopey turkeys?? Empty Dopey turkeys?? Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

So, I brought home 6 peeping Burbon Reds yesterday. They hatched Monday, putting them at...four? days old today. They have water, medicated turkey starter, and plenty of heat lamp heat. They are neither panting, nor huddled together. They sleep. A lot. But I did see one eat and drink today (working full time I dont get much time to observe). My question is this (never had turkeys before). Are turkey poults naturally...dopeyer than chicks?? My Wyandottes (which are admittedly almost a week older) are zippy little motor boats. The turkeys... well, they kind of act like their stoned Shocked I see no signs of illness, breathing is good, poop is normal, no dischage from anywhere. They just sleep. A lot. Help a worried hen?

2Dopey turkeys?? Empty Re: Dopey turkeys?? Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

I had the same thoughts only a couple weeks ago (and still today). I find them completely 'tarded if you ask me. At the moment, I'm worried the one with the beak problem will forget how to eat as, though I've kept her within view of the other birds, I've moved her away because she's being bullied -- she's now trying to eat the straw bedding...

I find they move veeeerrrryyy sllooowly and I've often seen those two with one leg up mid-stride, stopped, almost like they forgot they were walking. I think they are probably fine, though I'm about as much an authority on that as I am on anything in this poultry game, and that sure says absolutely nothing LOL.

3Dopey turkeys?? Empty Re: Dopey turkeys?? Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 am

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Well, it was a rough night for the turkeys. They got too hot, one died, the others were panting pretty hard, so I moved them away from the heat lamp. They seemed to settle down okay, I went to bed. This morning I wake up, and I dont know if the waterer was on slight tilt, or if they were standing in it or what. The bottom of the box is soaked, two poults look like their dead (wet, laying on their side not moving) and a third is on his way there. The third has managed to dry off, sleeping and peeping. The other two were in fact, alive. I'm trying to dry them off, but dont hold much hope for them. I'm considering sticking them in my empty incubator with it turned on, that way they wouldnt get stomped on by the others??? D@mm turkeys!

4Dopey turkeys?? Empty Re: Dopey turkeys?? Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those are typical turkey actions. They are not the wisest and are very hard to raise to that two week age. At least that is what I have found

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5Dopey turkeys?? Empty Re: Dopey turkeys?? Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have one right now, surrounded by 35 chicks. With a peeping, pushing mass aroound him he stands there, oblivious to the world, a look of slight confusion on his face.

At least the chicks have taught him how to eat and drink.

6Dopey turkeys?? Empty Re: Dopey turkeys?? Fri May 11, 2012 7:13 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think that turkeys are more relaxed then chicks. Especially when they sleep. They look downright dead to the world.

They may be sort of 'slow' but I think that they are the sweetest little things, and if you give them half the chance they will totally attach themselves to you. Love the way they tilt their heads and look you right in the eye.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost one. Sad They do tend to lay directly under the heat light, and are either too relaxed to move, or to stupid (can they help it if their brains are so small?). Hope that your other ones pull through. I think the incubator is a good idea for drying them off. It would be draft free as well as warm.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

7Dopey turkeys?? Empty Re: Dopey turkeys?? Fri May 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Well, my dear dear husband appears to have saved the day, he's been nursing the little dopes all day. So far all are living, we did put some Wyandotte chicks in with them, and they appear to have perked up. Thanks for the confirmation guys!

8Dopey turkeys?? Empty Re: Dopey turkeys?? Mon May 14, 2012 1:13 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree with Silkie, turkey poults are sweet. I usually put chicks in with the poults, the chicks teach the turkeys to eat and drink. I have 6 turkey poults in with my 17 chicks right now, everyone is happy, good luck with the babies

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum