Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

what is the difference between EE and Amercauanas?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

what is the difference between EE and Amercauanas? How can you tell them apart?

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Amercauanas lay a blue egg, have muffs, and breed true. All offspring look like parent birds, just like any other breed.

EE's may or may not have muffs, lay a green/blue/tinted egg and can be any color or mix of colors, they don't breed true.

I am an EE fan because I like the suprise colors and variety Very Happy

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay, so an Ameraucana breeds 'true' with a blue egg only and must meet the Standards with their feather colouring, muffs and beards (and I believe there are 6 or7 different feather colourings?). Is all that correct?

My other question to this then is:
is an Easter Egger really an Ameraucana cross? If you breed an Ameraucana with any other breed then you have an Easter Egger which is what gives you the green eggs, correct? And is it still an Easter Egger if you breed an Easter Egger with a non-EE or non-Ameraucana? When does it stop becoming an EE?

Shocked

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Many people think that as long as you breed an ameraucana with anything else it is an EE. I do not believe that. They are just mutts that might lay nice eggs.
To me an Easter Egger is just a Ameraucana that doesnt meet breed standards as far as egg color or feather color. Those that are multi colored to me are the EE's.
I still expect my EE's to lay a blue or green egg, have good size, and beards/muffs.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooh, this is interesting. Okay, one more question. Well, two. What causes the Ameraucana once it isn't bred to feather colouring standard to start laying green eggs? I thought it was a result of a blue egg gene with a brown egg gene that gave you green. 'Thought' being the important word here. This is not based on any knowledge or experience.

Also, Hidden, do you find your EE's to be hardier (healthier) given their gene pool is not so 'tight'?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

What gives them the green eggs is definately a brown gene in there, you are correct.
Many hatcheries bred other breeds into their ameraucana flocks to increase production, and possibly add in new genetics, that is what causes some color differences and egg colors. I ordered up about 50 Ameraucana's last year from different hatcheries, 90% of them laid brown eggs. To me that was very dissapointing. So that is one reason I am so against people breeding in other breeds and calling them easter eggers, to me if you get an easter egger it should lay blue to green to olive eggs, NOT brown.

I havent found much difference in the health between the two, I am getting new lines of Ameraucana's every year so that helps to keep my gene pool a but more broad.

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hm.....looks like I got a bunch of mutts. But I do love them and they do have their place and now I know for future. Thanks Hidden.

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

well thanks, just one more quick question, what is the proper feather color(s) for a Amercauana?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum