Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Setting Hen...Blessing or Biosecurity Bomb?

+2
happychicks
mirycreek
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Setting Hen...Blessing or Biosecurity Bomb? 16610
So what do you think?
Does a broody hen have a place on your farm/backyard or do she and her progeny represent a breach of biosecurity?
If you vaccinate your flock do you also grab her chicks at 4 and 10 weeks or whenever you vaccinate and booster and them as well?
Do you raise them seperate from the main flock and from other non-momma hatched chicks?
Do you sell them as "Momma raised" or just with the general population of "orphans"?
Do you think they may be healthy themselves due to mild inoculation from Momma but pose a risk to your other incubator babies?
Which way would you like to be raised? Shocked affraid

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This year I've decided to throw caution to the wind (just a little) and use broodies and mix the chicks all together after they outgrow Momma. I plan to work on the premise of survival of the fittest.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't vaccinate anymore either, and we are focusing more on natural raising. I would not hesitate to give a broody hen chicks, they are by far the healthiest chicks on the farm.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I dunno and don't have much to say other than I don't vaccinate and won't. I have hens here that love to go broody (got 3 buff orpingtons right now), one cochin got 12 eggs yesterday (thank you Shipperkesue for the black cochin half dozen, another half dozen buff orpington went under her), another blue cochin went broody yesterday, give her a couple of days to figure out if she will stay setting, I'm sure she will (that will give me time to gather up some buckeye eggs for her, the one other buff orpington that pretended to be broody for a long time and never sat on eggs, just did the broody mamma sounds, gave up and is now laying again. I love the broodies. It makes for a little more work to keep others out of their nests and to raise the tender little ones, but I don't worry a hoot or a hollar about mixing the babies all up and growing around the adult birds. I think this totally bolsters their immunity too. Being nearby to dirt, feathers, dander all that stuff that floats and rolls around the chicken yard is the best thing for them -- as far as I am concerned, their naturally made vaccinations. It is what it is...I am totally for broody mamma birds, bring em. Got some cool pics of two buffs raising babies together now, along with the adult buff orpingtons that don't mind them a hoot nor a hollar. Good topic, have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

I have babies in the brooder right now as well as babies hatched out by a broody hen.

Personally, I'm not huge on vaccinations for anything/anyone and there are really only 2 shots I'd get my own children when I have them (MMR and Polio). I think having them exposed to their mother who may/may not carry whatever illness or bacteria is probably the way I'd like to continue to do it. It's easier, Mom kicks out the weak and ill and knows when to give up -- I think you're more likely to have the more vigorous and strong survive that way.

I've enjoyed both experiences so far!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Don't vaccinate.
Mix hen hatched and bator hatched.
Don't lose any sleep.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with most on this and the ticket seems to be gradual exposure to what you have on your place already is the way to go with chicks, they probably already get this via your clothing unless you suit up fresh to enter every facility....
Good cos I love broody hens....have a Dominique hen setting tight, another few days to go...she has 7 under her, hope to add a few more fresh from the incubator..."fostering out the orphans" ha ha!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum