Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Separating the buckings from mom?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Separating the buckings from mom? Empty Separating the buckings from mom? Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:41 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would like a little more info on this. I don't want the little buckings to breed their mom, but I also don't want to wean them too early. When should I separate them? They are a miniature dairy cross, mostly Nigerian Dwarf.

2Separating the buckings from mom? Empty Re: Separating the buckings from mom? Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:35 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[quote="Schipperkesue"]I would like a little more info on this. I don't want the little buckings to breed their mom, but I also don't want to wean them too early. When should I separate them? They are a miniature dairy cross, mostly Nigerian Dwarf.[/q
I have some older than yours and some younger all even bucklings are still with their moms. Guessing you have seen them at play in the mounting position Laughing it's just play Sue Laughing
Are you going to castrate them or leave them intact?

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

3Separating the buckings from mom? Empty Re: Separating the buckings from mom? Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't know ,CCG. I was going to offer the boys for sale. I am not sure what people would prefer. If I don't sell them I may just eat them. Not sure how much meat would be on them by fall tho...

4Separating the buckings from mom? Empty Re: Separating the buckings from mom? Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The goats and the sheep are able to breed at 4 months of age.
When I had goats, babies were weaned at 8-12 weeks. Once they are getting enough energy and nutrition from hay, kid starter etc, they can be weaned. Typically that's when they are about 2.5 times their birth weight and are consuming at least 30 grams of solid feeds, daily.

Last year I waited until the lambs were 5 months thinking that was fine, well 2 weeks ago i got a big surprise on a 10.5 month old ewe--she had a baby, which means she got bred when she was like 5 months old. Thankfully the ram lamb was completely unrelated, but still.

Onset of puberty is 3- 7 months.

Cathy

5Separating the buckings from mom? Empty Re: Separating the buckings from mom? Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:24 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would castrate the bucklings. There are usually too many intack bucks around.
And being that they are crosses (right?) most people look for a purebred buck.
Also do you think people will be looking for them for pets / meat / breeding stock?

For ease of management and future sales of the boys I would castrate them.
Dwarf Bucks are often in the same category as bantam roosters... often too many out there and too many people think they are too cute to eat.

6Separating the buckings from mom? Empty Re: Separating the buckings from mom? Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 pm

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

k.r.l wrote:I would castrate the bucklings. There are usually too many intack bucks around.
And being that they are crosses (right?) most people look for a purebred buck.
Also do you think people will be looking for them for pets / meat / breeding stock?

For ease of management and future sales of the boys I would castrate them.
Dwarf Bucks are often in the same category as bantam roosters... often too many out there and too many people think they are too cute to eat.

When I was looking for a new buck I could not find one I wanted, so unless you are in a market for a new buck it is hard to say .As if you have high standards you may not find what you are looking for. Me well I am picky and know what I want. So me well I castrate all unless it has good confemation and well great color always helps.
If your going to eat them Sue castrate is better so I have been told.
affraid

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum