Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

custom chicken mattress

+3
KlassyChic
Hillbilly
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1custom chicken mattress Empty custom chicken mattress Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:25 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is so sad. I can admit this here becuase with the exception of only a few of you, no one knows me. Thank goodness! My life has degraded tthis.

Spring cleaned the hen house top to bottom. Dusted everything including the light bulb.Took out ALL the bedding and hauled in all new. Scraped poop off the walls, swept. You know the routine.

BUt the nest boxes have plywood bottoms and despite shavings, I get a lot of broken eggs. It's cause the girls scratch all the shavings out and then klunk, the egg hits the plywood and breaks!

So, I cut chunks of fuzzy backed landscape fabric and stapled two pieces together to form a little envelope. On the one open side I stuffed in several handfuls of shavings then stapled that side shut. Slipped these little mattresses into the nesting boxes, sprinkled bedding overtop and voila...no more broken eggs. THey can scratch all they want, that little cushion is there to catch the egg.

When you custom make egg landing crash prevention pads for your chickens...seek help!

2custom chicken mattress Empty Re: custom chicken mattress Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is where my old hay goes. Useless to feed the horses, it ends up in the nesting boxes. The girls love it, and make nice round holes, and drop their eggs safely in it.

3custom chicken mattress Empty Re: custom chicken mattress Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:01 pm

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Ha Ha Ha!! Reading your post has totally made my day! I think it shows true compassion for the animals we raise! After spending so much of our time fretting and caring for them we deserve those eggs... unbroken! I have had a few crazy reno's like the one you speek of and hubby gives me this total look of "Lady you really HAVE lost your marbles". I think it's great and who knows maybe you've given someone else a good idea too!! Good for You Very Happy

4custom chicken mattress Empty Re: custom chicken mattress Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:50 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

hey - if it works, don't knock it! Good idea and good for you Smile

5custom chicken mattress Empty Re: custom chicken mattress Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, the master of the design, smiling. What a beautiful little cushion you have made for the gals, you surely will not have any smashed eggs no more. I don't like to use shavings in the boxes for that very reason. I like a deep bed of straw and they like to make deep holes in that deep bed. My boxes have the wooden bottom too, but the straw is so deep, never would they get to the bottom to the wood Smile . You are wonderful with what you do for the birds, love to hear your stories. have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

6custom chicken mattress Empty Re: custom chicken mattress Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:40 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds cool Uno. I have always thought I would like some of that longer, fake grass to put in the bottom of my nesting boxes so they cant push all the stuff out. I thought to use that self adhesive velcro to stick it in the nests but be able to take it out to clean it.

7custom chicken mattress Empty Re: custom chicken mattress Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:45 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Little pillows, slightly disturbing

... now if you had been quilting for them.... No

8custom chicken mattress Empty Re: custom chicken mattress Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks Uno , you just gave me a idea because I have the same issue and haven't figured out how to approach till now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum