Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buff chantecler?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buff chantecler? Empty Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I know, I know! No, I have not taken the time to study genetics in poultry at all. Not even a little; I have always intended to but have not found the opportunity. And the road to hell is paved in good intentions too. Anyhow, can I make a buff chantecler from my whites and partridges?

2Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nope, you need the eWh for the buffs and Partridge should not carry it and white won't.
I believe when you cross white with partridge you get black with some interesting modifiers.

3Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:25 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well! ....... what kind of modifiers? Embarassed

4Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:34 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I believe partridge not only has the pattern gene, but also mahogany. I am not sure what the white is 'hiding'.

5Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok . So, what about buff? Ohhhhhh, do you need to start from scratch, with the right colored building block breeds for buff?

6Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:13 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:34 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh boy. If only I understood what is it that I think you are trying to teach.... Sad Smile

So, I did have a few white hens with my partridge roo and vice versa. The resulting babies should tell me more of what is in there. The birds aren't show quality.

8Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:50 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

9Buff chantecler? Empty Re: Buff chantecler? Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very good Tara, you are much more articulate and thorough than I am. Rolling Eyes

Coopers, don't forget that White can be made on ANY e-series PLUS there are Partridge Chants out there floating about with only a single dose of eb Brown, the other allele in the e-series is often eWh (shows up when the pseudo Partridge is not expressing the diamonds I so cherish). It is not PROBABLE but certainly possible for then the White to donate an eWh and the pseudo Partridge to donate the other required eWh.

Yes, white is the wild card here. Is it not possible to 'guess' what the white may carry from the history of the bred? I have actually seen some 'sports' from whites that have an interesting mottled, greyish pattern in them so there may be a pattern gene lurking in there.
I had what I am sure was eWh show up in one of my birds. He was very light in chick down with very little striping. He grew to a very orangey male with no black in his hackle or saddle. Looks like I may have some eWh lurking. I think I got rid of the hen I suspect had it so I am not to worried.
He was a BIG boy and tasted GREAT! Very Happy

So I suppose it is possible and my short 'nope' was wrong, but why would you want to go through all the trouble and heart ache it would be. I was thinking along the terms of 'if I crossed whites with partridge, the chicks will be buff' and not 'if I spend years breeding, documenting and culling i will have buffs before I die!' Laughing I would just go out and buy them.

I think why you ask is because you have both and want to breed them together. Just do it, you will get lots of people that will be appalled, but just doit and see what you get. I know I for one would be very interested to hear what you hatch from it. I have always been tempted to experiment with it myself.

Oh, Tara I think the buff wyandotte and buff brahma in Australia may be on eb or at least eb/eWh. I think the standard down there calls for slate down.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum