Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aviary Netting

+5
ChicoryFarm
TysExotics
pops coops
Hidden River
dooversue
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Aviary Netting Empty Aviary Netting Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 pm

dooversue

Does anyone know where you buy Aviary Netting from?

Or what do you use over your bigger outdoor runs to help protect against preditors?

I've got chain link for the perimeter fence and thinking to do a few runs inside - don't want to 'roof' them but do want something overtop...
Any suggestions?!!?!?

2Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Three suggestions.
If you have any way to get golf course netting, it's lightweight and UV-resistant. I have a bunch and it's pretty good. Withstands snow load and so far hasn't torn.

You can buy really lightweight netting for garden vines to climb. It comes in a flat package and I'm not sure how big it unfolds, but it will keep your birds in.

I know some people just string multiple lines across their pens and tie surveyor's tape all over so it creates that visual effect to deter overhead predators.

Good luck.

3Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I purchased mine years ago from down in the USA. But Dirt Willy's carries it as well, it is a nice plastic type woven netting. It is easy to work with and stretches nice.
I purchased some netting from Lee Valley, but it is very fine and hard to work with, does keep the birds in and this last wet snow we got it never tore, but did sage a lot, I find the black plastic woven one does not hold the snow as much.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

best place best price just give size of pen he does the rest

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.popscoops.com

5Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 pm

TysExotics

If your doing a pen with any size, you'll go broke using Dirt Willy. Their prices are way to high, for my taste anyways. I get all my netting from the US. You can find reasonable netting on Ebay, you can also get it through Louis E. Page (?) I think thats the name, I have their catalogue at home.

http://www.prairieexotics.com

6Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:40 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got my netting from these folks in BC:

7Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] got me covers for 4 pens that were at least 20 by 40 for under 100.00 give him a try tell him what you need and tell him about this post he will help you.

http://www.popscoops.com

8Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:27 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Berry Hill is a good source. I bought from them a few years ago and it was free shipping. Rick from Dirt Willy's Farms is very nice fellow and he has very nice birds, but I think his prices on netting is far too expensive!
Here is a link for you.

9Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:50 pm

dooversue

THANKS gang - everyone who posted and emailed - it's MUCH appreciated!

This is great - will give me some leads to price check on and see what I can line up, so it's here when I'm ready for it. Very Happy

10Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

What overhead predators are you concerned with? We have that fine, plastic netting to keep birds out of cherry trees. I hate working with it! It is quite strong and will keep out hawks and owls who here have, on occassion, bounced right off like a kid on a trampoline.

However, bears and racoons get through it no problem. Racoons who are shot out of overhead trees and come hurling down, rip it all to pieces. Where we have chicken wire overhead, the dead racoons have bounced off.

So if you want to keep overhead fliers out, that fine plastic fruit tree netting will work. If you are trying to keep out things that crawl and climb, nope, you need something sturdier.

11Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Uno, that's a great suggestion. I wish I would have known that when I purchased my netting. I'll keep that in mind for future. Where would you buy something like that? Do you have an online source?

12Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:30 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

The fruit tree netting is available at most hardware stores. Chicken wire you can get any old where.

13Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:19 am

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

dooversue wrote:

Or what do you use over your bigger outdoor runs to help protect against preditors?

because our poultry run area is oddly shaped and rather large (3/4 of an acre) and treed we use string, strung about 6- 7 inches apart in a sort of lattice pattern. Predator birds need swooping room and we've found that spacing deters them from trying to get down below the stringing.
it took awhile to set up, but we don't need to pull it down every fall. Leaves/snow etc fall through and don't get hung up in it like with a mesh or netting. Which we tried first and it was a pain in the butt to put up and down every year.
I also tied some of that bright orange tree marking tape randomly on some of the cross parts that flutters in the breeze which also confuses the overheard birds.

14Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:27 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nom_de_Plume wrote:
dooversue wrote:

because our poultry run area is oddly shaped and rather large (3/4 of an acre) and treed we use string, strung about 6- 7 inches apart in a sort of lattice pattern. Predator birds need swooping room and we've found that spacing deters them from trying to get down below the stringing.
it took awhile to set up, but we don't need to pull it down every fall. Leaves/snow etc fall through and don't get hung up in it like with a mesh or netting. Which we tried first and it was a pain in the butt to put up and down every year.
I also tied some of that bright orange tree marking tape randomly on some of the cross parts that flutters in the breeze which also confuses the overheard birds.

Good to know and I like that idea. If you have some pictures to show of that set up that would be fantastic. I am looking at a spot about the same size as yours to cover so that I can have a large grazing area for growing out chicks once they feather in. I am builing a 20'x12' coop in the middle of it and could make a higher pitch roof on it to attach strings from. What material for the strings did you use?

Thx,
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

15Aviary Netting Empty Re: Aviary Netting Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:50 am

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

Piet wrote:
Good to know and I like that idea. If you have some pictures to show of that set up that would be fantastic. I am looking at a spot about the same size as yours to cover so that I can have a large grazing area for growing out chicks once they feather in. I am builing a 20'x12' coop in the middle of it and could make a higher pitch roof on it to attach strings from. What material for the strings did you use?

Thx,
Piet
I just use hemp string as it's supposedly more resistant to rotting etc. So far it's been fine, occasionally I have to replace a string that's come undone.
I don't own a camera but I'll see if I can get a friend to come by and snap a couple of pictures.
We have 6ft high fencing around the entire perimeter and use the trees to support some of the strings. My building sits against one side makes up one side of the whole area it's 45ft long and 10 ft wide (it's an atco type trailer) and is basically only used for nightime sleeping room once the birds (meat variety) are past that two week mark and can regulate their own body heat. It has a chicken ramp leading into the grazing area from the building a person door on the opposite side facing our house and a ramp at both ends with garage doors so we can drive the tractor straight though for easier clean out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum