Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Egg production at a stand still...!

+3
ladyleo
Hidden River
KatuskiFarms
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Egg production at a stand still...! Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:48 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So for my first kick at gathering my own hatching eggs - so far not so good. Was getting 18-20 eggs from 21 pullets, now I am only seeing 5 a day. I have moved some hens around, is this to blame?. Also battling with some seriously broody P Chanteclers. I put them into confinement for a day or two and when not appearing broody anymore,
they are put back . And they go straight back to being broody!!

2Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find moving them does affect their egg laying, sometimes good sometimes bad. I would give them some time and see if they smarten up.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:31 pm

ladyleo

New Here

Put a heat lamp in the coop. I'm not sure where your from, but this nasty weather we've been having here, my hens have almost all stopped laying. Last time this happend, a heat lamp did the magic trick.

4Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:09 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree wirh Hidden it is probably caused by the move, although it could be the weather as i was getting an average of 5-6 eggs a day when all of a sudden I am down to 2-3 per day

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:07 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cleaned coops today and they made such a fuss!!! Silly things. I expect my eggs to be down for a while after the commotion they all made today. Its not like they don't know me or anything. Rolling Eyes
Both the boys and girls were acting like it was the end of the world.... sigh. I really want eggs for hatching, but maybe this is a sign. Laughing

6Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:05 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

How many broodies? When a hen is going broody, she will not lay eggs, so if you have a whack of broodies, expect no eggs from them for some time. I have never really delved deeply into this but things to think about. When a hen goes broody, no eggs, she has laid her eggs. When she is forced in and out of broodiness, I still doubt if she is laying eggs. I know that people try to break up broody hens so they are not, but their broody mind set has been set and they won't provide eggs. I am wondering how long they would stop laying eggs for, does anyone know? Did that make sense? let me rephrase. The brooding hen does not lay. If a brooding hen is moved around to prevent broodiness, and this is successful, and broodiness feelings go, how long before she will begin to lay eggs again? Immediately? Wonder if she just stops for the length that it would take to hatch out eggs. I don't know much about this, but I do know that I don't bother to break up broody hens, I let them sit and hatch. Hope your egg production picks up again. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

7Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:49 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Very good points CynthiaM. I have wondered about when Broodie's start to lay as well. All I know is that I have had Broodie Partridge Chants since Xmas. My buff orpingtons and jersey giants have not shown any interest so far.

8Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Any thoughts on this anyone, smiling that big smile. I think this is a good conversation. Have a wonderful night, CynthiaM.

9Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've had birds shut down when a bird sitter let their water freeze. No water for a few days will do that. Doubt you have done that though.

Just when you want the eggs they become all Scroogy. I have noticed that putting hens in with a new rooster will sometimes kick them into gear.

10Egg production at a stand still...! Empty Re: Egg production at a stand still...! Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Actually the jersey hens might be like that. I locked them into our big barn to roam free with the big jersey roo, and I got two eggs every day. But this freezing weather means I have to put everyone back in their pens, no more jersey eggs either. This jersey roo is my favorite; such a nice big boy and a real gentleman. And never pecked at a person yet! My chantecler Roos are another story; quite vicious to new people and short people Sad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum