Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eggactly How Old?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Eggactly How Old? Empty Eggactly How Old? Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a Black Cochin pullet that was hatched around the beginning of May last year. She is the only pullet of that breed and the only pullet here that has not started laying. The question is how old are LF Cochins before they start laying? Her mate has been doing the usual activities with her, but he is a year older.

2Eggactly How Old? Empty Re: Eggactly How Old? Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:13 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well she is certainly old enough to lay, so there must be some other reason she is holding off. Did she recently get moved into a new area? That can sure throw a wrench in the egg production...

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Eggactly How Old? Empty Re: Eggactly How Old? Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:13 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

She did get moved recently into our new coop along with the Gold Laced Wyandottes that also are not laying at present. That was her second move in a short time. The other pullets moved with her but to a different coop where they are laying well. There has also been a lack of light which may be contributing factor, but your answer tells me she is old enough to lay.

Thank you!

4Eggactly How Old? Empty Re: Eggactly How Old? Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am smiling. Cochins are fat, lazy, fluffy, beautiful birds and they are very slow to mature, they, are pretty much as slow as the brahma breed for maturing, smiling. Just don't feel badly. I have four gals that have been at the point of lay for some time now. Their counterpart has been crowing and mating for about 2 weeks now. Sigh. Wondered when those gals would get their butts in gear and lay an egg. Day before yesterday, a pullet egg, from one of the baby blues. So, I would say, and I find this pretty typical of the breeds here, the cockerels begins to mate and crow and the pullets begin to lay a couple of weeks later, pretty standard with breeds I have, smiling again. I also think that weather is dependent.

They are 29 weeks old. That would be 7.5 months old!! That to me is a very long time for the birds to mature to the point of lay......maybe the weather. Don't know, it is what it is....Bet my bottom dollar it is temperature dependent, she is certainly well old enough to be laying. The cochins that are beginning to lay were born the end of August, last. I checked fertility in a few of the older cochin gals' eggs, which are in their third year, he is doing his job and each of 7 hens had the bulls eye telltale sign on the yolk within. Good. Not to say that he doesn't have a long ways yet to go to be a great contributor, but he is whomping the girls lots, smiling.

My buff orpington gals began to lay in December at 24 weeks old. The buckeye pullets began to lay in the past two weeks too. They would be the same age as the cochin pullets, at 29 weeks old. I think the orpingtons mature faster Very Happy .

I am going to check my records from last year and see if I can tell what age the cochin pullets began to lay last year. Hold on.....looking now...OK, last year the buckeye pullets began at 27 weeks, but it was April, not March, so more light factor me thinks....

What am I thinking? I didn't have any cochin hens come into point of lay last year, they were mature gals. So guess I can't really help you here, except for knowing when the baby blues started......29 weeks old. Hope this helps. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5Eggactly How Old? Empty Re: Eggactly How Old? Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I still don't know how old for our Cochin pullet, but this morning the youngest grandson found 2 eggs under the nesting boxes. One egg was very large and the other a fairly large egg. I gathered them for hatching although I'm not sure if early pullet eggs will be fertile. The nesting boxes are probably too small for her.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum