Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Milking goats

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Milking goats Empty Milking goats Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:32 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I may have just bought my self a goat. She's pregnent and they think due to kid any day. They have been milking her to bottle feed two other kids. Now, I don't know much. Is it OK to milk them so close to kidding? What about colostrum for the new kids? Or does that not come in until they are born?

2Milking goats Empty Re: Milking goats Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

if she is due in a few days stop milking her
she needs to build up
also if they have been milking her and she is that close they have milked out the colostrum with luck she will not kid for a bit yet and she might build it back up but can not really say.
I use to have a Goat dairy and Milk 150 head
and we always gave them a 30 rest before kidding but that was us I know others do it different.
What breed is she and post pics if you can
also the best thing is have fun as goats are a wonderful animal and can bring alot of joy

3Milking goats Empty Re: Milking goats Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cant say for sure but I would guess that you may want to look into finding some colostrum for the babies as I would think that if they were still milking her the colostrum is gone! Good luck

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4Milking goats Empty Re: Milking goats Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So, another possibly dumb question, but please forgive me I have a pounding headach and can barely think. Can I buy goat colostrum? I thought I'd heard you can get it for calves. Can I use that? I'll phone tomorrow to see if they have stopped milking her and to tell them to stop if I am buying her.

Here is her icture. The kids are not hers, they are the ones they have been milking her to feed.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

5Milking goats Empty Re: Milking goats Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi DCChick

They dont have a goat colostrum if all else fails you can use cow colostrum
here is a webite for the goat breeders in Alberta from the Alberta Goat Breeders
Dont know if any are close to you but if there is you might contact one and see if they have any frozen colostrum as that is how I use to keep it on hand
Hope this helps
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

She looks like a nice goat and beings she already hand milks thats a plus
and there is nothing like fresh goat milk and homemade cheese
Joe

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum