Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Culling birds

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Culling birds Empty Culling birds Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:56 am

wcmamma

New Here

I have several different types of large fowl because there is something about each of those breeds that appeals to me
I also understand that there is a standard of perfection for each of those breeds and as a person of integrity I chose to try to breed to those standards. Many birds do not meet those standards due to faults. In trying to find different lines and quality birds from other breeders does not always ensure show quality exhibition stock either. Personally if hens don't meet the standard they just find a loving place in my laying flock so we can eat eggs . They do not find their way to my breeding program. Roos not meeting the standard (last year I had hatched 17 black cochin roos and not one met the standard) way found their way to my freezer and then the table. It often takes years to get to the place were your birds meet the standard so you can hatch their offspring or sell young pullets and cockerals. Tom Roebuck gave me some valuable advice when I started my cochin breeding project. Be prepared to cull cull cull and raise at least 100 birds of that breed a year to obtain some. If you are not prepared to cull birds maybe you shouldn't undertake the responsibility of becoming a breeder.

2Culling birds Empty Re: Culling birds Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, I totally agree that if you want to be a serious breeder, that you will have to make these decisions. If you want to be a serious breeder, the original stock, unless you have many years to hang around to breed really nice stuff, by culling and culling, that you should try to start with as good breeding stock as one can get. That is surprising that out of 17 black cochins, you couldn't find even one that was decent, kind of disheartening I would say. Yes, it takes years to get really nice birds, probably less time if the initial cost was paid and excellent stock was acquired. But then, too, one has to wonder how serious they want to get. Have a wonderful day, good post, CynthiaM.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum