Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHo has Australian Shepherds?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1WHo has Australian Shepherds? Empty WHo has Australian Shepherds? Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:58 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Im still looking for the "right" breed of dog to add to the mix here. Has anyone had Aussie SHepherds before? Still? Good, bad? I plan on having a couple goats, rabbits, chickens, cows so I doubt it would get bored and plan to go through lots of training with him/her. Any suggestions? ANy breeders on here?

Jaclyn

2WHo has Australian Shepherds? Empty Re: WHo has Australian Shepherds? Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Austaralian Sheperds are very smart dogs, do tend to have a long coat that gets burrs in it easy, I think there may be short haired ones though?
We have a half Australian Sheperd, she is crossed w/a red heeler so she has a shorter coat but she is a wonderful dog.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3WHo has Australian Shepherds? Empty Re: WHo has Australian Shepherds? Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Michelle S

We have a 5 year old red tri Aussie. We got him from Mikatura Australian Shepherds from near RedDeer when he was a puppy. He has a strong working/herding instinct which can be a negative for some people's situations though. Great for cattle & sheep if you train them, but will also herd your kids, cats etc Smile our guy is very wary of strangers, which is the way the breed tends to be. I wouldn't want to get out of the vehicle when we're not home. They are extremely smart and need an experienced owner who can handle them, they aren't submissive dogs and will try to be the pack leader if you don't insist that you are! We love our Aussie, he is right for our family, but I wouldn't say they are an easy dog to own because they are so smart, high energy, and dominant.

4WHo has Australian Shepherds? Empty Re: WHo has Australian Shepherds? Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:11 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have tri-colour female. She's a great dog but they may not be for everyone. VERY leader oriented. MUST be with me when I go outside at all times. Absolutely LOVES being around the animals. Actually starts dancing around me to remind me when it's time to do the evening chores.

I haven't trained her for herding but she still tends the critters. When she was young she would protect the muscovy hens from the drakes. If a rooster climbs on a hen, she runs up and stares at it point blank to make him hop off. lol!

Not really an indoor dog (in our case). We try to bring her in but, after 5 minutes, she is wanting to go back out.

But they don't roam and I love that. Our old Black Lab would be 3 neighbours away if you turned your back. I can still be working away and suddenly panic, jump up and look around and... oh, she's right over there.

5WHo has Australian Shepherds? Empty Re: WHo has Australian Shepherds? Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have a liver coated male Australian Shepherd. Absolutely devoted to me and to work. Loves learning new tasks but was hard to handle (pure enthusiasm and raw energy) the first two years. Legs on springs. Slow to warm to strangers. Never roams. Very emotional about doing good work - punishment is "bad dog". Must be kept busy at all times. Happy outside always unless just to check what we are doing inside. Funny shedding pattern - sheds heavily in November-December then gets big winter coat for spring. Puts away turkeys and chickens without biting or frightening them. Puts away sheep at night. Will bring me cattle if asked. If I knew more ways to train him he'd be doing more. Loves to play with sticks and balls and jump things. We started agility but he couldn't see the point as it clearly wasn't real work. Huge vocabulary.

Less frantic than a Border Collie though and it seems to me much happier at home.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

6WHo has Australian Shepherds? Empty Re: WHo has Australian Shepherds? Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you love your Aussie sheperd heda,he is that personable looking fellow in your right hand seat right?
thought your post was so funny, just like a report card, sounds like some of the comments on my kids elementary ones! Laughing
I agree with you about the "less frantic" and the emotional need to please, although we just have a X so not the same but still....

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum