Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Solar power

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Solar power  Empty Solar power Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Rosies

I want to put solar power kits on my coops and not sure what I need. Canadian tire has 15watt and 30 watt kits and am wondering if these are good enough for say my brooder coop. Would have one or 2 heat lamps a light and a heated waterer in the winter. Hoping the 15 watt one will be sufficient. If anyone can help me with info on this that would be great.

2Solar power  Empty Re: Solar power Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've thought about this also, so am waiting to see what people say!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

3Solar power  Empty Re: Solar power Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Rosies

Ya the 15 watt at CT is $150 I think not including the battery but I think if I were to just plug it into my house I would spend that much on power pretty quick.

4Solar power  Empty Re: Solar power Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like solar power for running equipment like a calculator, but a typical heat lamp is 150 to 250 watts. A small solar panel rated at 15 or 30 watts (less than 2 amps) just does not create the necessary energy. Solar panels would be good for running efficent white lights for a period of time during the night. Unfortunately creating heat from electricity takes a fair amount of electricity. Solar heat exchanger would be a better option.

5Solar power  Empty Re: Solar power Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was thinking this too, that a solar panel would not be able to run all those things.
This year we bought a cheap ($15) panel and mounted it on top of the duck house and it runs a small light inside that turns on at dusk and turns off at dawn. It works well.
I know you can buy much more powerful solar panels but I don't think even the
$150 ones would be able to store the power to run heat lamps.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

6Solar power  Empty Re: Solar power Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Rosies

Darn I definatly wish it was that easy yo set up solar. Would be so much nicer!!!! I guess I will have to keep looking. Think I will still get solar for lights and heated waterers though. Thank you for all your input everyone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum