Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Could this be true?

+8
uno
ipf
DCChick
Grandma Art
Fowler
toybarons
Swamp Hen
SerJay
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Could this be true? Empty Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If it is it's horrifying!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Would not the costs of doing neurosurgery on 1800 chickens be a little cost prohibitive? And how in the name of God would you keep those poor creatures free of disease? Apmutate feet and perform brain surgery?? I think not.

I firmly beleive humanity is looking the wrong direction to the solution for their problems. If theres such a demand for poultry that you have to resort to that, reduce the human population. Easy as pie.

3Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sad

Truely I am sicken. I am trying to control both the anger and horrid feeling I got both reading and seeing the picture that was posted with the article.

4Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is hilarious! Either he is making a provocative statement to get press and try to generate discussion or he knows absolutely nothing about the poultry industry. This system would be so expensive it is laughable to even think about it.

He argues that chickens blinded by “accident” have been developed into a strain of laboratory chickens that don’t mind being crowded together as much as normal chickens do.

This sounds Lemarkian. How do you develop a strain from birds that were blinded by accident? How would chicks inherit the blind trait? Were they accidentally genetically blinded?

5Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

could it be a science project?

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

6Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I refuse to take this seriously. It an in no way be cheaper to go through all that than to raise chickens the old fashioned way - IF all that is actually even possible.

That, and the picture really disturbs me.

7Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm with Fowler; on balance I think he's being provocative to generate discussion.

8Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler I hope you are right because the fact that it was even dreamed up to write the article is disturbing to me Gag! Can't believe everything you read online I know but sometimes the most disturbing end being true however I hope this is just a horrible joke

9Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:21 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think this is pure genius!

This is an attempt, in my opinion, to draw attention to the hideous way factory chickens live NOW. Considering how little the public cares about the life quality of these creatures, I doubt the public would even blink an eye at this proposed lunacy! This is, as Fowler says, hilarious! It is a point well made. If a blind, legless chicken hung in a suspender and stimulated by electic shock offends you, then the life of a chicken bloody well ought to offend you now!

This is cutting edge social statement...too bad the vast majority of the chicken eating public is blind, legless, hanging from a straight jacket of drooling ignorance,and only stimulated by media delivered shocks. Lord, I hope this shock gets through to someone!

10Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:31 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

This is terrible if it is true.

11Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think I saw this in a science fiction movie once...only they used humans instead of chickens! I think people would be more horrified if this was true about animals than humans.

Sue

12Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

As usual, Uno says it best, most explicitly, most provocatively. Yay Uno! go viral!

13Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ Agreed.

Schipperkesue wrote:I think I saw this in a science fiction movie once...only they used humans instead of chickens! I think people would be more horrified if this was true about animals than humans.

Sue

Wasn’t that the Matrix? No wait, they were harvesting humans to be used as batteries, not food…um, um...ok, got it! Daybreakers with Ethan Hawke and desperate, degenerate vampires. Not a bad mix really.

14Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:19 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm still geeking out thinking about this.

I now it's fake but can you imagine what would be involved? This wouldn't be a farm, it would be a lab. Tubes for nutrients, tubes for waste, all would have to be sterilized or completely replaced between 'crops'. Nutrient tubes would have to be sterile or you would get microbial growth, only that isn't possible because the chicken wouldn't be sterile. No cheap immigrant labour to catch and move birds, you would need trained technicians to do this stuff. lol!

15Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:26 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:^ Agreed.

Schipperkesue wrote:I think I saw this in a science fiction movie once...only they used humans instead of chickens! I think people would be more horrified if this was true about animals than humans.

Sue

Wasn’t that the Matrix? No wait, they were harvesting humans to be used as batteries, not food…um, um...ok, got it! Daybreakers with Ethan Hawke and desperate, degenerate vampires. Not a bad mix really.

Hmmm, its been a long time, but maybe "Soylent Green"?

16Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:40 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't buy it at all, although I don't put it past humans to do something like this. It reminds me of the rumour years ago of some strain being developed for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Can't remember the details but the birds were featherless, beakless, etc.

17Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Flicker Chick wrote:^ Agreed.

Sue

Hmmm, its been a long time, but maybe "Soylent Green"?

The idea is based on the movie triligy "The Matrix" where humans spend their life from birth till death hooked up to colonies and used as batteries to fuel the machines.

Soylent Green harvested dead humans as food to feed the human population.

18Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I recall that a few years ago this same idea was raised for humans as well. It came out of cloning.

The idea was that if we could clone humans then people would have a perfect match for organ replacement. Taken a step further, what if humans could be cloned with just the basic brain stem developed so the the body could be kept alive with out the human becoming sentinent/aware. Then if a person needed an organ or a limp replaced they could simply harvest it from the clone. Killing the clone would not be considered murder as the clone would not be considered a sentinent being [souless].

19Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

toybarons wrote:I recall that a few years ago this same idea was raised for humans as well. It came out of cloning.

The idea was that if we could clone humans then people would have a perfect match for organ replacement. Taken a step further, what if humans could be cloned with just the basic brain stem developed so the the body could be kept alive with out the human becoming sentinent/aware. Then if a person needed an organ or a limp replaced they could simply harvest it from the clone. Killing the clone would not be considered murder as the clone would not be considered a sentinent being [souless].

That was "The Island". Ewan McGregor has already shown that doesn't work out well for the scientists involved.

20Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:
toybarons wrote:I recall that a few years ago this same idea was raised for humans as well. It came out of cloning.

That was "The Island". Ewan McGregor has already shown that doesn't work out well for the scientists involved.

Yup it was a movie. Found it a bit slow to get into and a bit too long.

Remember Dolly the Lamb? When she was successfully cloned it was discussed how cloning could be applied to humans. It was suggested with the shortage of organ donors if you could apply cloning to humans then a shortage of organs could be a thing of the past. Then that whole ethical thing about humans, sentinence and souls was brought into it. Seem to upset some folks.

21Could this be true? Empty Re: Could this be true? Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

toybarons wrote:
Fowler wrote:

Yup it was a movie. Found it a bit slow to get into and a bit too long.

Remember Dolly the Lamb? When she was successfully cloned it was discussed how cloning could be applied to humans. It was suggested with the shortage of organ donors if you could apply cloning to humans then a shortage of organs could be a thing of the past. Then that whole ethical thing about humans, sentinence and souls was brought into it. Seem to upset some folks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum