Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Quickest way

+6
mirycreek
Blue Hill Farm
coopslave
uno
rbryne
Susan
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Quickest way Empty The Quickest way Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What do you think is the quickest way to kill a bird? Also the most humane?

2The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 pm

rbryne

rbryne

Hi Susan. I had the same question when I first started to slaughter
my turkeys. I could not see being able to hold a turkey and chop a
head off. For my turkeys I now cut a hole in the bottom corner of
a feed bag - slip the turkey in the bag and have his head come out
of the bottom corner. I then wrap electricians tape around the bag
to hold flapping wings and hang him by his legs. Then a quick shot
from my .22 rifle in the head and it is a very quick and humane death.
I have done this now for two years with great success. I do not know
if this helps you but I am very satisfied that the birds that I have
spent so much time raising receive a respectful quick clean death (as
they deserve).

3The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

With very small birds, you can lay them down, set a spade (round edged shovel for digging) against the neck, step, head is off. Do NOT do this with a flat edged shovel that you scoop poo with. The correct shovel makes a difference.

Bigger birds and ones for eating we chop head off with axe. This allows them to bleed out.

I do not kill the birds myself, make Hubby. But for myself have considered a high powered pellet gun which applied, point blank, to the head of a restrained bird will kill it in a less bloody way than chopping off head. However, with the gun there is some risk to self if basic precautions and common sense are not employed. I have not yet done this, just talk about it.

4The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use a little hatchet. Small enough that I can give it a good, acurate swing with one hand. I have it VERY sharp as well and it is quick and final.
Hubby put his foot down a few years ago and said he would not do them anymore, so I had find a way to do them myself that was quick and easy. This is what works for me.

5The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've found the quickest (most humane) way for me to dispatch a bird is by cervical dislocation, breaking the neck.

I use the ‘broomstick method’, where you lay the bird on the ground and place a broomstick across its neck, hold the ends of the stick down firmly with your feet, and give a quick, forceful yank up on the legs, enough to feel the neck bones dislocate or the head to come off. It’s simple, effective and over in seconds…the downside is it's very hands on.

6The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

head down in a killing cone,extend neck, ratcheting pvc cutters: done.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:03 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wondering what is your intention. Is this for future, dealing with larger birds, or dealing with youngsters. I don't know why, but I like to know these things. A very dreary subject, but must be talked about -- death is not easy, no matter which way we apply. You will hear many comments about methods, your choice to choose the one which you feel most comfortable with.

Cervical dislocation is my choice with the young birds, when that situation arises. Removing the head with something sharp is an action I take when the bird is bigger. PVC cutters are amazing, if they are sharp. I place the bird inside a feed bag, one foot on the top of the front of the back, my hand holding the head, the other hand squeezing the handle, instant. My foot helps to hold the bird in place. Once the head is removed I then can put my hands on the bird to hold it still. The mess stays in the bag. Sad to do this thing, but it must be done. I do not process my own birds, that is left to a professional to do that. I don't think I would be able to eat my own birds if I had to do the work myself, sigh...I consider a trip to the abbatoir a nice day out for a nice drive, coming home with some good food, smiling. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

8The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am embarrassed to admit I can't kill them. I have a henchman I call when I need to do it. I just think its important to be prepared. Chick, sick adult, culling a roo to eat, anything. I am just trying to prepare myself for the inevitable. I am fine with wounds, blood, anything (was going to be a vet!) but its just looking at their eyes and taking their life that I struggle with.

9The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Susan, no need for embarrassment, you are not the only one that has trouble to end a life, yes, those eyes, those chicken eyes. What is a henchman, by the way. If you have one nearby, you are fortunate. I don't have anyone on our farm that will do this deed, only me....so I do what is necessary. There may be a day when you can perform this thing. I know there was a time when I could not. But I learned how, and trust me, I shed a good tear or two as I take a life. There are times when one must, there is no choice, not for me anyways. If I have a bird that is in pain, that is what I speak of, I must, and I do, and it sickens me to my soul, but it is done. Sigh. So, tell me what a henchman is, think I have heard that expression before, but I am such a "need to know" girl, when I find something I want to learn about, I MUST know Very Happy , beautiful days, CynthiaM.

10The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

lol A henchman, does the killing - I think it comes from when they used to hang people, he was the dude that did the deed. In my case, my very good friend, JCE's Mom does it for me. Stupid thing is< I can pluck and gut the birds after they are dead! Though I do not enjoy those days at all.

11The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Susan I used to have a hard time as well, my hubby was my henchman, but one day I had to do it, I had an injured bird and couldnt bare to wait all day letting her suffer waiting for hubby to come home and do the deed.
We use non racheting PVC cutters, he keeps them sharp for me, and they work wonderfully.
We also have killing cones, which keeps them confined, head down and relatively calm. It is over before they know it and I feel good knowing that if I have to I can do it.
I still prefer him to do most of the killing. It is important to learn a way that works and is comfortable for you, it is never going to be easy, and really shouldnt be easy, but once you do it you will feel confident in knowing that you can do it when needed.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

12The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks you guys. That's just it, there will come a day when there is no one but me available I can step up if need be and I think I will look into getting the PVC cutters. I do think it is an important aspect of poultry keeping, and one should be competent in all aspects of their care.

13The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:06 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

14The Quickest way Empty Re: The Quickest way Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Story's Guide to Raising Chickens has a good description that I've used a couple times, but I must admit, I do favour the machete, or sharp metal cutting utensil.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum