Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sponsorship. How does it work?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sponsorship.  How does it work? Empty Sponsorship. How does it work? Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:58 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I know this probably seems like a really silly question, But how does sponsorship work?

Some friends and I are organizing a spring poultry small animal sale, and I was asked if we had any sponsors. All I know is the people doing the organizing are volunteering.

I've never organised anything like this before, so am clueless.

So if we ask someone to sponsor us, what do they do for us, and what do we do for them?

Sorry about the silly question... hidxing

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

2Sponsorship.  How does it work? Empty Re: Sponsorship. How does it work? Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:02 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sponsors at a show usually contibute money or items to get things running, then are repaid in advertising or a booth or mention in the catalogue, etc.

Arctic can give you a more in depth explanation with regards to our Three Old Hens and CHB productions.

Sue

3Sponsorship.  How does it work? Empty Re: Sponsorship. How does it work? Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:06 am

In all the event organizing I've done (outside of my job, that is) like clinics and horse shows, the sponsors normally get repaid in advertising.

So, say you're putting on a small show and you'll have a flyer to advertise it. You'll put your sponsor's business name and logo on there, with your thanks. At the show, you'll have their banner up, or if they're the type of business that this would suit, maybe they'll have a display table there for show-goers to visit. Any time you have a public address system, you will mention a few times that "thus and such is made possible by the generosity of... xx". You get the idea? You can have them sponsor a class, in which case that would be noted on entry forms or prizes (if feasible).

For the sponsors, it's a feel good easy way to get their name in front of potential customers.

I'm sure there are more thoughts on this, but this is what comes to my mind immediately. Good luck!

4Sponsorship.  How does it work? Empty Re: Sponsorship. How does it work? Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:00 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks, I was thinking it was something along these lines. Smile

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

5Sponsorship.  How does it work? Empty Re: Sponsorship. How does it work? Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Having been involved in many events for dogs, horses, alpacas, llamas, cats, rodeo, canarys, chickens and more, the way sponsorship has worked is...
1. In trade. Recognition or advertising or booth space is given by the club in exchange for money or product or services from the sponsor.
2. Sponsors donate money to sponsor a class or aspect of the club for the prestige of sponsoring.
3. Sponsors sponsor classes and part or all of the money donated go to the winners.

It is only in the poultry shows that I have experienced the money from sponsorship being earmarkes entirely to be given to the winners. Usually sponsorship goes towards awards, facilities, judges and other expenses occurred by the club putting it on.

With dog shows, such as National Specialties, there is real competition to sponsor classes. People want to sponsor prestigious classes such as Best in Show, Best Puppy in Show, Winners, High in Trial, Veterans etc just for the honor of it, or the braging rights of hainvg been the sponsor/ having your kennel name beside the award in the catalogue. People often sponsor in memory of an old dog, or because they are supporting the odl dogs, the rescue parade, the working dogs etc. At dog shows people sponsor to support the vent, and usually do not sponsor classes they expect to win, or even enter. The money goes towards holding the show, and in this way everyone benefits from it, not just a couple of dogs. After all there are a lot of winners at the lower leverls, where there is no money, but only a couple of dogs can keep rising up the competition ladder, so only a couple of dogs would take home any significant money if there was money available. For Best In Show there is sometimes money to win, but below that it is very uncommon. Helping the clubs put on a great event for everyone to show is seen as more important and a better use of funds than paying out to a select few.

6Sponsorship.  How does it work? Empty Re: Sponsorship. How does it work? Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Arcticsun wrote:Helping the clubs put on a great event for everyone to show is seen as more important and a better use of funds than paying out to a select few.

In the shows I've been involved in, if money payouts are involved in some, but not all, classes, they are "jackpotted", meaning that part of each entry fee goes towards the payout. Doesn't cost the club anything, and tends to encourage entries as the more entered, the higher the jackpot. Very Happy

7Sponsorship.  How does it work? Empty Re: Sponsorship. How does it work? Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:35 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:
Arcticsun wrote:Helping the clubs put on a great event for everyone to show is seen as more important and a better use of funds than paying out to a select few.

In the shows I've been involved in, if money payouts are involved in some, but not all, classes, they are "jackpotted", meaning that part of each entry fee goes towards the payout. Doesn't cost the club anything, and tends to encourage entries as the more entered, the higher the jackpot. Very Happy

In order to Jackpot the classes the club either has to
1. Give up part of the entry fee from each bird, thereby having less money to pay for putting on the show , or...
2. Increase the cost of entering a bird. In which case we have been told by people that they will enter fewer birds

As an example, if a club is charging $3.50 per bird and that covers the cost of the judges and cage rental but not the rental of the facilities, shavings, feed, tables, cups, tar paper, skirting, advertising, insurance, etc etc etc, and then part of the entry fee, say 50 Cents goes towards a jackpot to give to the winners, then the club cannot afford to bring in a judge, or cannot afford to have cages etc. The number of birds does not significantly increase from the base expected number to offset the loss. To offset the 50 cents the club would need 1 extra bird for every three normal entries, that is an increase of 25% in entries!!!

If the club decided to Jackpot and charge $4 per bird, and the 50 cents goes towards jackpots, then we will receive fewer entries. I have been told by big name show people who entr lots of birds per show, that they would either NOT attend the show at all, thus the club would loose 50 to 100 or so entries from that one person alone, or many people would enter fewer birds, either way the club has less money from entries to pay for a good judge, a decent venue, etc etc.

Regardless, unless the club is wealthy and has access to free cages, good venues at a reasonable price, cheap advertising, cheap ways of getting good judges, it costs the club.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum