Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just GOOGLE it!

+4
fuzzylittlefriend
ChicoryFarm
blackdove
turkeylurkey
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Just GOOGLE it! Empty Just GOOGLE it! Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:23 pm

turkeylurkey

In another posting somebody asked what was in Red River Cereal. I thought is was Wheat, Oats, and Flax, but wasn't sure so typed in "Red River Cereal" in Google and got the answer "Wheat, Rye, and Flax".

Quite often the questions asked on these forums can be quickly answered by doing a simple search on Google, Bing, or others. You'll get accurate answers, not simply the opinions of others.

http://www.guppy.ca

2Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:37 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

But I like opinions... Laughing

3Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

If we just turn to Google for everything, instead of sharing the richness of different thoughts and twists and turns that these conversations so often take, then we're no better than the kids we rail against for spending 85% of their day with their nose in a phone or a video game. Sure, Google has its place, but I wouldn't stop consulting and arguing and discussing and conjecturing and all that good stuff. Even doing all that online is so far removed from real human relationships, but for a lot of us, real friendships are formed. I think we'd be pretty sorry and possibly doomed as a species (a bad thing??) if we just shunned human interaction in deference to a book or an online 'response'.

4Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:27 pm

farmchiq wrote:If we just turn to Google for everything, instead of sharing the richness of different thoughts and twists and turns that these conversations so often take, then we're no better than the kids we rail against for spending 85% of their day with their nose in a phone or a video game. Sure, Google has its place, but I wouldn't stop consulting and arguing and discussing and conjecturing and all that good stuff. Even doing all that online is so far removed from real human relationships, but for a lot of us, real friendships are formed. I think we'd be pretty sorry and possibly doomed as a species (a bad thing??) if we just shunned human interaction in deference to a book or an online 'response'.

Agreed

5Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:32 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm still trying to find the post of the person asking what was in Red River cereal? scratch

6Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:53 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I agree with farm chick. Plus everything you "google" needs to be taken with a grain of salt as there is more bad information then correct information sometimes. I do like the opinions of others and learn from their mistakes and efforts so I can sometime skip that mistake as well

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

blackdove wrote:But I like opinions... Laughing

Me too! cyclops

I often use my search bar when looking for information. Then just as often I come here to seek the opinions of my poultry loving peers. Wink There is no substitute for wisdom gained through experience in the field – and to be totally honest, I really enjoy hearing what others think about things. Very Happy

8Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:44 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There is a difference between opinions and facts.

For example:
What atoms are present in water molecules?
Answer: Hydrogen and oxygen - it's a fact.

What's the best way to raise chooks?
Answer: Free range, with lots of space and a varied diet. it's an opinion.

What causes eggs to be blue or green?
Answer: the presencve of the "O" allele [gene]. It' a fact.

IMO, the components of Red River Cereal are fact-based. Good to confirm via other sources, but there's not a whole lot of point in argument.

Google does display weird opinons as well as erroneous facts, but there is still, really, a difference between facts and opinions.

9Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I Googled those answers for ya. Found them on the Fox News site.

ipf wrote:
What atoms are present in water molecules?
Answer: The kind used by Iran to create nuclear weapons that will destroy the American way of life!!!!

What's the best way to raise chooks?
Answer: In a heterosexual Christian houshold where the chook can be raised with wholesome family values that can only be received from a mother and a father.

What causes eggs to be blue or green?
Answer: the presence of the "O" allele. This "O" allele is there because Obama is weak on "O" alleles!

10Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:27 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler and IPF, I delight in your answers. You have both clearly illustrated the importance on using your discretion and your own sense of right and wrong when viewing information on the internet. There is loads of misinformation to be found and it is often copied and reposted as unmitigated truth. After all, isn't everything you find in print the truth? (Sarcasm, in case you misundertood me.) It is so important to think as you read- always!

Sue

11Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I should have known. . . .
Sigh.
Things always look blacker and whiter at almost-midnight when you've been up since 3:45 am.

Fowler, you're amazing. I love the way your mind works.

12Just GOOGLE it! Empty Re: Just GOOGLE it! Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

LoL Fowler, you never fail to make me laugh. Cool

There is loads of misinformation to be found and it is often copied and reposted as unmitigated truth.

^ Sue, I wanted to response to this because I often copy, quote and paste words, though I never intend for it to be taken as unmitigated truth. I just like to share tidbits of info I find online, some silly or amusing, other stuff more serious. I leave it to the discretion of the reader what value they take from it, if any. I agree that it is very important to question and think about what you read. True knowledge may be knowing you know nothing, but wisdom begins with wonder. And Socrates! Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum