Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

red river cereal good for chickens?

+4
Ruffledfeathers
pops coops
liz
Terre Wilde
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26red river cereal good for chickens? - Page 2 Empty Re: red river cereal good for chickens? Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:49 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Terre Wilde wrote:This is great information and I appreciate suggestions anytime. I actually tasted the cereal, peanut butter and chilli flake concoction - it actually tastes pretty good. I agree pretty expensive choice but I had it on hand and wanted to give them something extra.

Do you physically put the birds on the roost if they haven't made it up there by nightfall? These birds are new and they favour one roost and ignore the other - if they can't get on the preferred roost they are sleeping on the floor - maybe I've got it set up wrong.

Yes, I do/did physically put them up on their roosts, night after night, for months with some of them. What happened was as they were growing out (around 6 months), a few of them would put themselves in the nest boxes or like the Silkies, just not roost. So every night I would do this, as I didn't want them pooping in the next boxes and I was concerned about the very cold winter nights down the road (which we have arrived at) and them not having the warmth of each other to snuggle into. My perseverance paid off. Some got it within a few weeks and the Silkies in particular took a few months but now 99% of the time everyone is on the roost at night when I go in there.

And just to clarify, I didn't force any of them to roost before they were ready but as soon as they showed interest or were more than old enough to I wanted to nip any bad habits then and there........and it worked. cheers

If no one is going on the one roost ever there may be an issue with it but again maybe they just need some encouragement. Is that unused roost too high off the ground or to close to the ground?

27red river cereal good for chickens? - Page 2 Empty Re: red river cereal good for chickens? Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

They have three choices to roost - the popular one is 20" from the wall furthest away from the door. They are all the same height and the other is about 4 feet away and parallel to the popular one and is in front of the window - the other joins the other two roosts. I'm wondering if they feel safer by the wall - the window is huge 6'x6' which is great for light - but maybe they feel exposed - don't know....

28red river cereal good for chickens? - Page 2 Empty Re: red river cereal good for chickens? Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:47 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Terre Wilde wrote:They have three choices to roost - the popular one is 20" from the wall furthest away from the door. They are all the same height and the other is about 4 feet away and parallel to the popular one and is in front of the window - the other joins the other two roosts. I'm wondering if they feel safer by the wall - the window is huge 6'x6' which is great for light - but maybe they feel exposed - don't know....

I wouldn't change anything then. Who knows what chickens are thinking! Smile

29red river cereal good for chickens? - Page 2 Empty Re: red river cereal good for chickens? Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

Not me - that's for sure! But thanks - that relieves my mind a little.

30red river cereal good for chickens? - Page 2 Empty Re: red river cereal good for chickens? Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:18 pm

turkeylurkey

Do you feed them their Red River Cereal before of after you put them on their roost?

http://www.guppy.ca

31red river cereal good for chickens? - Page 2 Empty Re: red river cereal good for chickens? Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

breakfast in bed? Laughing

Probably I should give it to them late afternoon but I tend to give it to them whenever I have time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum