Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanted - Automatic Pophole/chicken door openers

+4
Skeffling Lavender Farm
SerJay
Hidden River
ChicoryFarm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can find a good auto pop hole opener for my coops? I'm assuming I can buy one online somewhere.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do remember seeing one recently...Will have to look back in my memory banks and see if I can remember. I actually think it was in my farm show magazine. I will have a look and see if I can find it.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Found it Chicory.
It is a automatic door programmed to close at night and open in the morning. They have quiet the little set up for it. Costs $180 on their site.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Jayme. Here's another one I found (kind of a goofy ad) for around the same price. I was hoping I'd find something for less than that. Mainly because it just doesn't look like it's worth $180......

But my birthday is coming up and I am going to ask for one! Just as a back up and to let the chickens out occasionally in the morning before I get to them.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wonder if you called them if they would just sell you the opening device and you build the door yourself?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh now I read the one you posted it does sell just a lift kit, still kind of expensive.

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I was thinking about something like this but then I wonder how they are in winter. It sure would be easier but then some mornings I can hardly get the doors unstuck by hand. We're making a new coop in spring and so gathering ideas now and well the doors I haven't figured out the best option yet. If you go this way I'd love to hear how it works out

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

"Automatic chicken coop doors" are the guys I have the link to on my easy chickenry website, these guys do sell the motor separately. $112 US!!

I have shopped around and looked at them myself and we decided we'll be getting the whole door when we eventually build the chicken palace coop near where the new house will go years away yet!

There are some pretty precise things they recommend when building your own so the sliding door can't be lifted or pried by predators and I know I saw it on a video on their site and can't find it now. This is the installation video anyway

I think they are Indiana, so imagine they have factored snow into the design. maybe not as much as you guys get!

Last edited by Skeffling Lavender Farm on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos, could still be more! lol!)

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'll keep you posted Serjay. The fact that you're building a new coop gives you an opportunity to design one with the auto opener in mind. I find that in the winter, I don't get out as early as I would like to for the birds. I'm letting them out around 9-9:30 AM, whereas I know their ready by 8:30 at the latest. It would also give us a little more freedom and security to set it to close automatically in the afternoons the odd time I'm running a bit late to get home. We do have electric fencing, etc., but I'm not totally at ease until those pop holes are closed up. My birds are also good at putting themselves in at night, except for the odd bantam occasionally.

Thanks again Hidden. And Skeffling, that's great. I hadn't done any serious footwork in googling them or checking your site. I'll talk to my partner and see if he thinks it's worth it to just order the mechanical part. He's a pretty handy guy, so doing it himself wouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to ask for one for my birthday for the next 5 years cause I have 5 pop holes to open and close every day! Shocked

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

No problem, I just looked thought their 11 you tube videos and they must have deleted it. It said to put external trim around it along the floor as well as the sides so the door couldn't be rattled out or pushed up by a predator getting its paws under it. I was surprised cos technically it meant ours aren't predator proof as we have them. I am sure if you asked, they have plans or tips if you do get the motor to get the best results. I know I always feel happier when they are tucked up with the door shut!

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just found a utube video that uses a drapery motor and a timer to build. Looks simple enough and about $40 to build. Hubby found it so I don't have the link just have to search for it. Look super easy and way more cost effective Very Happy

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

SerJay wrote:Just found a utube video that uses a drapery motor and a timer to build. Looks simple enough and about $40 to build. Hubby found it so I don't have the link just have to search for it. Look super easy and way more cost effective Very Happy

What did he type in to the Youtube sight to bring up the links Serjay? I realize he can't remember what he clicked on but does he remember what he initially typed in to the main youtube bar?

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Found the link

there's another video underneath in the responses that has a neat adjustment to make coop door more secure using a gate latch

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'll check it out. Thanks. Smile

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Bump

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Swell idea, but I would never in a million years trust something like that. What if there was a late bird coming in and then the pop door swung down on it. Excellent thought though, but there are flaws. Same token. I would never use an automatic door system, for the same reasons. There are always some chickens that take a little longer to go into the coop at night. Birds stuck outside cause the door shut. Nope. Awesome days, CynthiaM.

Roots

If you want to spend some time in a scrap yard there is a few options. This is a door system built built with a car battery and car antenna. My only concern would be the battery not working on cold winter days.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Check out Walmart. They have very good prices on pop doors for dogs and cats.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum