Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you clean your incubator?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How do you clean your incubator? Empty How do you clean your incubator? Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:58 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Okay, I am freaking out a little because I am setting eggs tomorrow for my sons class. I really want it to go well. I bought a Brinsea mini last month and did a trial run. What a great little incubator!!!

But, I meant to order the cleaner from the Brinsea website too - but forgot. So, I cleaned the bator with soap and water. Is that okay? Should I bleach it? Last year my first hatch (in a hovabator) went really well. I cleaned it with a bleach solution, set it in the sun for a while and set another batch. Well, that went horrible - 2 chicks out of 40 made it. Now I am wondering if it was the bleach. I did everything the same as the first hatch. ??

Is just cleaning it with dishsoap and water okay?

Thanks! I am stressing because I want the kids to be able to have some fuzzy butts to cuddle in the end. Good grief, does everyone else stress out this much??? Laughing

2How do you clean your incubator? Empty Re: How do you clean your incubator? Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:43 pm

cbotkin

cbotkin

Hi Blackdove,

You can use a VERY VERY mild bleach solution, but be extremely careful not to get it on any metal parts (screws), or the sensor assemblies or fans. You should also wipe it off with clean water after a couple of minutes.

I got a warranty call last week from a very high-profile bird breeders nearby me here because the sensor in his Ova-Easy 190 was not working. This unit was delivered in February, and when I pulled the sensor out, it looked very aged. After I replaced it, I was looking at the trays and racks in the machine and they were all very corroded. After I did some questioning, I found out that they were cleaning it with a very strong bleach solution and wiped the sensor, causing it extreme damage.

The Brinsea Disinfectant is great, I use it on everything now, its soft, safe and easy to use. It also goes a long way. If you do decide you want some, contact me directly before ordering. If you want more than one, freight should not change, but Paypal cannot figure that out so I can invoice you directly and you can avoid that.

Thanks,
Clayton

http://www.cbotkin.ca

3How do you clean your incubator? Empty Re: How do you clean your incubator? Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:05 am

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks for your reply Clayton! I was hoping to hear from you. I would like to get the disinfectant. I will email you later when I get back from the school.

I decided not to use any bleach. Just washed it with mild dishsoap and rinsed/wiped with water.

Thanks!!

4How do you clean your incubator? Empty Re: How do you clean your incubator? Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 am

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thank you Clayton!!! Wow, the disinfectant got here fast cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum