Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do Guinea Fowl have brains?

+3
heda gobbler
Arcticsun
silkiebantam
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Is it just me, or are Guinea Fowl low in intelligence?

Yesterday, I had one fly up onto the top of the chicken house, then onto the tower structure my husband built. It's pretty high. It sat there for a good part of the day. It then flew from there to the top of the hydro pole we had put up this summer. Were it sat until just before dark. From there it flew some where high up into the 100 year old spruce trees, and there it still sits. I can't see it in the tree right now, but I can hear it. It will not come down. I think because of the snow. Even with shoveling, and a dry porch area on the front of the chicken house, it will not leave it's high perches. My husband is of the opinion that we should just be done with it and shoot it and eat it. But these came from eggs I got from Jean, and I would hate to eat them. They are special too me. It will not be knocked or enticed down.

Last year I had one do pretty much the same thing. Throwing snowballs to scare it didn't work. Shoveling didn't work. Spreading seeds and getting other chickens and stuff didn't work. It sat up in a tree for 3 days with me trying to convince it to come down. Finally, I managed to hit it with a snow ball, and it fell out of the tree and I grabbed it. I think the only reason it fell is because it was weak from lack of food and being so wet.

During the summer, they get stuck all the time in a corner in between two pens. They will run back and forth along the fence all day. If they would only go another 3 feet further down the fence, they would come to the end and be free. But no, they can't figure that out, and instead run desperately calling back and forth, back and forth.

Yet despite there stupidity, I like them. They are so nice having running around the yard when there's no snow. They are very intreresting to watch. I love seeing them go with their babies. They do make quite a bit of noise if hawks or bears come. One think I noticed this summer, when a hawk killed and was eating one of my chickens, the guineas were squawking and running up to the hawk. Like right up to it, then running in circles around it.

Today, I am going to clip the rest of their wings, so they don't all end up in this silly girls situation.

Guinea on a pole.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is this not a sad looking sight?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

2Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

In a nutshell, the answer is no.

3Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love them too but they never last long. I think they get suicidal in the cold.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:29 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cant believe how high up it is! and at the top of a pole.

Im glad you got it down before it froze to death up there. I would be totally freaked if I had to spend the winter looking at the body of a dead guinea perched at the top of the pole.

5Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:40 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

How to get Guinea Fowl out of a tree

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

HILLARIOUS!!!!!!

Great website...

7Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do Guinea Fowl have brains?

The answer is yes, and Piet's dog finds them delicious!

Sue

8Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:52 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Those are funny pictures SilkieBantam. Love seeing what going on at other's places.

9Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:05 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great website!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

10Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:27 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I clipped the rest of my guinea fowl's wings, and let them out so they could stand on the porch or go into the shoveled area yesterday. The loose guinea flew around the yard for most of the day, but when I went to shut them in last night she was in the coop. Her wing is now clipped too. Silly girl!

That's a neat website. But I haven't had much luck getting them to move by throwing stuff at them. In the summer they like to sit on top of the chicken house and squawk. When I go to bed, I like to shut all the birds in, but they won't come down. It stays light here until pretty late at night in the summer, so the birds stay up late.

I was starting to worry someone would come and kick them. lol

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

11Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Empty Re: Do Guinea Fowl have brains? Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:57 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

YES guineas have brains and yes they love to roost high, she will come down, I had 45 of them roosting outside the other night, they all came down in the morning then they went back up, a huge owl flew by, they all came down and ran into the coop.

http://www.popscoops.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum