Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Christmas Tradition

+6
debbiej
blackdove
mirycreek
pops coops
Arcticsun
Hidden River
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Christmas Tradition Empty New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just got this email from a friend, I think it is such a great idea so I thought I would post it.
There are so many of us on this board even that do our own products, and it is about time we as Canadians started supporting Canadians!

Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Canadians with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods --
merchandise that has been produced at the expense of Canadian labor. This year will be different. This year Canadians will give the gift of genuine concern for other Canadians. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by Canadians hands. Yes, there is!

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper? Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local Canadian hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, Canadian owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a
book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Canadian with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the Canadian working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery
and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at
your hometown theatre.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights, about
fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining Canadian pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about
us, encouraging Canadian small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Canadians, we care about our
communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. THIS is the new Canadian Christmas tradition.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in
your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations, and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other,
and isn't that what Christmas is about?

BUY CANADIAN - BE CANADIAN - The job you save might be your own

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I LOVE IT!!!

What great ideas.

3New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I must say that I have always bought Canadian, most at Christmas, but I always read lables and were the product comes from and choose to buy Canadian first US second England Australia next.

http://www.popscoops.com

4New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:23 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds good to me...I actually have a head start on my Christmas shopping this year because I loved the socks so much that my son bought me for mother's day...

Just look at these beautiful, handmade beauties made by Claire at Lanaire Ranching from wool from her own alpacas Cool santa

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Miry yes, I have my order in to her for some stuff too. She makes such great products, even has an open mind about new stuff I have her tackling for me for Christmas gifts too. Smile

6New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am done my Christmas shopping but would love a couple pair of the socks for nanas cold cold feet, how can I get in touch with her.

7New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

8New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:33 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thankyou I just ordered some

9New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:16 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh yes Claire's socks are great!! I was worried they would be itchy but they don't bother me at all - like wool usually does. I highly recommend them!!

10New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:43 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What a thoughtful post. Good points and great suggestions. Thank you

11New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:57 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

jayme--- thanks for posting that here too!!! I loved this email, it was very well time and very thought provoking!! (and thanks for posting my link!)

Irene-- OH I am so glad that you have the socks, and that you like them!!!

Pop's-- thank you so much for your order!! I am almost finished!

blackdove-- how did those insoles work out for you?? should I make some more? Very Happy

(sorry I am just seeing this now too!! I am been lack in keeping up with the site... I only just got chickens again, so feel like I am all "new" to this game!! haha)

12New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:42 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That's funny you ask... I was just saying to hubby last night what a great idea the insoles are. My feet are always cold - but not anymore cheers And for this time of year they work great in my rubber boots! Especially for all the times I go barefoot in my boots... Laughing

Do you sell them on your website now?

13New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:18 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

blackdove wrote:That's funny you ask... I was just saying to hubby last night what a great idea the insoles are. My feet are always cold - but not anymore cheers And for this time of year they work great in my rubber boots! Especially for all the times I go barefoot in my boots... Laughing

not yet, but I may start in the next few weeks to make some felt... and then I can put some up hopefully in time for christmas Very Happy

14New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:28 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

lanaire-ranching wrote:
blackdove wrote:That's funny you ask... I was just saying to hubby last night what a great idea the insoles are. My feet are always cold - but not anymore cheers And for this time of year they work great in my rubber boots! Especially for all the times I go barefoot in my boots... Laughing

not yet, but I may start in the next few weeks to make some felt... and then I can put some up hopefully in time for christmas Very Happy

I think I need some for the dear wife, how do you size them and price please

15New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

pops coops wrote:
lanaire-ranching wrote:

I think I need some for the dear wife, how do you size them and price please

as soon as I can figure out a really good method of making them, I will be sure to let you know!!

most likely as I size the socks, s/m/lg/xl cut to size like the other insoles you can buy...
EDITED TO ADD... the going theme for insoles seems to be one size and they generally run about $20, so I will have to think on it--- whether I go that way or improve on it
as for price. that will have to depend on how long it takes for me to make them (as I will have to make the felt by hand) and materials that go into them

Very Happy

16New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is a great idea. Hope it catches on.

17New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love the idea of supporting Canadian, and I love the idea of homemade gifts, and I love the idea of thinking outside the box. Now I am certainly doin' that thing!! I know that there are things that could be very greatly used, as far as gift certificates, I have given those in the past, but never really thunk about all the possibilities of different sources of gift certificates, excellent post here!! And I got a guy with very cold feet, gonna check out LannaireRanch website, so cold he has to put a blanket on his feet at night (cooks me out if I am close to him, but he needs so much warmth, sigh, so I sleep with my face beside a window that opens up, smiling). Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

18New Christmas Tradition Empty Re: New Christmas Tradition Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:09 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Buit what if Home Depot just came out with new lighted goose decorations?????? It sucks being mature and responsible! Mad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum