Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who milks a cow? and whats your routine ?

+2
HighCountry
Amy
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Last year I bought a milk cow, a Holstein(I wanted a Jersey but found this insanely gentle cow). She calved in May (a half Angus bull calf) and raised 2 Angus calves for us all summer. Now fall is here I sold the other 2 steers and I have time to milk, finally.

I built a make- shift pen around a shelter, filled a water trough and put a round bale. My cow is now separated from her calf (by a fence) and is unsuspectingly awaiting an evening milking. I have milked goats regularly and have 'test' milked the cow but tonight I am going to start milking her for real.

I know I can google almost anything but I like to hear from people I 'know' Very Happy
Anyone have any tips or stories to share ?

HighCountry

I just give her some grain and milk away no tying necessary for my old girl When her grain is done she is done lol. I milk 2-3gallons off two quarters i leave the othwr two for the calf unless i need all the milk which is rare. When i first brougt her home an was getting to know her i would tie her but found she was better when left loose but that may just be her

http://www.highcountryshetlands@xplornet.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We also do nurse calves, but when we want to milk we keep them off of her overnight, then milk in the am. Then turn her out with the calves. Generally we milk them out as much as we need, leaving a bit for the calves, but she will produce all day so sometimes we take it all.
We find the evening is better for seperating because during the night they tend to sleep anyways, so not so stressful for mom or baby.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

samwise

samwise

Don't have a cow yet but might be getting a brown swiss next month. Very Happy

5Who milks a cow? and whats your routine ?  Empty cow in am Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:08 pm

applejack

New Here

usually we milk in morning and we have dexters. We hand milk although i am thinking as it gets colder and my hands get stiffer a milk machine might be nice

http://www.canadiandextercattle.com

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We have three girls. This year it will be a first time for our youngest heifer, but the other two have milked before. We usually rotate who is milking so that we always have plenty around. The routine varies depending on who is in milk. If it is Jillian, then she has to be tied, her personality. Annie, I walk out in the field, milk her, then bring it in. As far as routine, I call them up every day with grain in the am, at noonish, and in the pm. That way, they are always used to coming up if they are being milked or not. In the am and pm I will brush them. Who ever is being milked I will have a bucket of warm water with soap ready and waiting to clean the udder. I will allow them to eat the grain while I milk. I did find that if I lean into the cow, my head and shoulder touching them, they move much less then if I am not leaning on them. I think it is a reminder you are there. I always do one side then the other, but that is a personal choice. I also will use iodine after I milk IF she is not nursing a calf. Jillian always finishes her grain before I am done milking and it is for that reason that I have to tie her. Otherwise, she is out of there and refuses to stand still. If I tie her, then I can finish and she wont complain too much. I did find that giving the cows a "snack" in the afternoon that they would produce more. My favorite is sprouted grain. They kept body condition really well with that too.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks for the replies. I have been milking her the last 3 evenings, I tie her and give her grain (in a three sided shelter to get out of the high wind we have been having). I have been milking from just one side and I find I do just kinda lean into her too. So far so good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum