Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bum Roo or ?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bum Roo or ? Empty Bum Roo or ? Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Out of all of my Ameraucana's I only ended up with one black roo. Now, I have had him with the black hens. No sign of ANY breeding going on. He crows in the morning. That is it. As a test, I put a new hen in with him that previously was with the flock. No interst. I do know that he happened to be the lowest pecking order of the roos. Is that why? How long should I give him? Should I even need to give him time? I mean, if he isnt going to perform I wont be keeping him. He is just such a nice looking roo.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

2Bum Roo or ? Empty Re: Bum Roo or ? Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:43 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

When I put a young roo in with older hens, they boss him around for a while. There is no way those old girls are going to take any guff from some young upstart. It takes a while for the new guy to find his way and get things worked out with the ladies. But I have never had a roo fail to do his thing.

If this is the only roo in with the ladies, he might just be a stealth operator as opposed to the 'doing it in public' roosters you are used to. Give him time and make sure he is the only roo in the pen. If he's young, it's probably a confidence issue. He'll get it eventually.

3Bum Roo or ? Empty Re: Bum Roo or ? Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:50 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

They are all the same age. Sorry, I should have specified that part. He is the only roo with these girls and there is only two with him. So not too much and not too taxing on him. Maybe there is a minimum amount of room they need for breeding? I put them in the breeding pens I made. The pens are three ft high, 5 ft long, and three feet wide. Big enough or need more room? I mean, could that be part of his problem? As for stealth, I see your point. I just havent seen him do anything but eat. He is in really good body condition, so that isnt an issue.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

4Bum Roo or ? Empty Re: Bum Roo or ? Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

He is probably breeding them and you are just not seeing it, maybe check the eggs for the bullseye ? Maybe he is just shy Very Happy

5Bum Roo or ? Empty Re: Bum Roo or ? Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:13 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

could be the time of year too. Right now isnt exactly breeding season for any animal. My BLRW roo hardly breeds anything right now. Occasionally one of his old favourite hens, but nothing else. in the spring he practically rapes any hen near him lol

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

6Bum Roo or ? Empty Re: Bum Roo or ? Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Haha! That reminds me a silkie roo I had. He was very low in the pecking order and he learned to be the first out in the morning and he would ambush the hens and breed them as they came out in the morning, lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum