Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

use of a radio

+7
coopslave
DoubleSSRanch
Grandma Art
turkeylurkey
CynthiaM
chickeesmom
hobbyfarmer
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1use of a radio Empty use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:11 am

hobbyfarmer

New Here

When we had meat birds this spring we left a radio tuned to CBC hi-brow no less! We did it because we heard it would help keep predators out. Should we do this with our adult flock or would it just bug them when they are trying to sleep?

2use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I keep the radio on 24/7 in my barn, all the birds seem to like CBC the best. Laughing

3use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Personally, I doubt if it will keep predators out, really, they are things that have lots of guts and gumption!! We have a radio on 24/7 in our barns too, it is nice to always have a comforting voice of music and sound when one is outside there. I think the chickens probably do like it, doesn't matter if they don't, I do!! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

4use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 am

turkeylurkey

This one should be added to the "Book of Myths" that includes the one about turkeys standing out in the rain, beaks pointed skyward, until they drown.

The only sure way of securing a flock is to close the doors and make sure there are no openings anywhere in the coop when a predator might gain access.

http://www.guppy.ca

5use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:53 am

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I always have a radio on in my Turkey barn... I started that in the summer just before the thunder storms and it seemed to help keep the birds from crowding from the sound of the loud thunder.... so now I have it on all the time... but... My birds prefer CLASSIC COUNTRY 1060..... and I like it too!! The mice seem to enjoy it, but never see any predators out that direction.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

6use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

In my personal experience, it does help. Not saying it will save them from a full blown attack, but it helps.

I was having coyotes come right in the yard every night (never got anyone thank goodness) for over a week. I turned on my radio (an expensive one with a large subwoofer lol) in the garage, LOUD, and left the man door open so it would echo out in the the yard. I couldnt hear it in the house, but it kept the creatures at bay. I leave it on a country station. I like the change between different voices, and the commercials etc, doesnt all sound the same all the time. From a coyotes perspective.

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

7use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not sure about predators, but I do think it helps calm the birds and other animals for that matter. I find they get used to hearing people`s voices and they don`t jump out of their skin when they hear one. I do not have the luxury of having a radio on by my coops and my birds are great with my voice and sounds but if hubby comes down they run around like mad making warning sounds! Laughing Just to quiet here I guess, either that or hubby has to help with them more often.

8use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

CBC works wonderfully. The predators hear Jian Gomeshi's voice and go kill themselves.

The birds become more informed on politics too.

9use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:CBC works wonderfully. The predators hear Jian Gomeshi's voice and go kill themselves.

ha ha fowler, you are a funny guy!

I heard that country music is most soothing for people and animals because the beat most closely mimics the heartbeat?

Maybe heavy metal would scare the predators? Would scare me too though!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

10use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:CBC works wonderfully. The predators hear Jian Gomeshi's voice and go kill themselves.

lol! Gian Gomeshi drives me crazy! "Hi there........happy Tuesday". I could strangle him when he says that.

I understand that 'talk' radio is more effective than music, so CBC is a good station. When we had a bear in the area this summer I plugged in the radio but kept it outside, beside the coop door under cover so it wasn't blaring into the chickens' ears. And also, I don't think it needs to be real loud but the volume of a normal human voice.

11use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I leave a radio on 24/7, but have it on 101.1 fm, Classic Rock, the Polish Love The Rolling Stones, the Silkies prefer Bro Jake

12use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:36 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:

lol! Gian Gomeshi drives me crazy! "Hi there........happy Tuesday". I could strangle him when he says that.

In one room where I work I am able to play the radio and CBC is the only thing that comes through (it's in the basement). Naturally Jian takes up a good part the day and some days I just can't take him and have to shut it off. The way he prattles on about his precious Radiohead, talks about his days in a band, or gives his unwanted opinions on various topics, sometimes he actually puts on a song I like... and then talks through half of it. I don't know, maybe it's just his voice that irritates me but, oh yes, I can see how it would be a deterrant. lol!

Last edited by Fowler on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added something)

13use of a radio Empty Re: use of a radio Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 pm

hobbyfarmer

New Here

lol,,,, thanks for all the input.. I am really enjoying this forum!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum