Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

War declared by predator

+5
Hillbilly
CynthiaM
Fowler
fuzzylittlefriend
Dan Smith
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1War declared by predator Empty War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:51 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Three nights ago something came in and killed 5 Black Copper Marans, 2 roos and 3 pullets one of which was really special because she was from a new line that I brought in this spring that lays an even darker egg than my current line. I was too busy to set traps that day and had to go to work that night and the predator came back and killed 13 more but from a different coop. Of the 13, 6 of them were Welsummers ( 2 roos and 4 pullets) and the other 7 were young Barnevelders mostly pullets. I also had to work last night but I made time to set traps yesterday before going to work and this morning only minutes after returning from work I ended the problem. You mess with the best , you die like the rest. Up until this week I had not lost any birds to predators since last winter which was only one hen to a weasel who promptly went to visit his forefathers. Have a great night.

2War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:26 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What was it? Your kinda scary Dan;)

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

3War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:29 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Boy I don't envy you.

I understand they are very hard to deal with.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

4War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh brother, that is getting more awful, that is a whole lot of really nice birds down the drain, the throat drain, sigh. What was it anyways, did you get it, didn't quite get if you did or not. Do have a great day still though, CynthiaM.

5War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:46 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congrats Dan. I know here, it's been an ideal year for the raccoon population. I eliminated 7 in a couple weeks, when I've never had a problem before.
Sorry to hear your losses in the process though.

6War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:57 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dan those kinds of losses are so disheartening. Crying or Very sad
We work hard to find the best stock we can, and they can be gone in an instant.
I'm glad that whatever was taking your chickens found its match.

Last edited by KathyS on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't realize at first you got the critter.)

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

7War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:18 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Seems to be that time of year. I lost 2 young BLRW last night too, only a couple feather's left in their pen. But yet they never touched the older Orloff's that were in there? Maybe they had more sense to no go out so early in the morning or something?
There are chorus's of coyotes at night and sometimes even in broad daylight now, our poor LGD doesnt get a moments rest lately. But this last attack doesnt smee coyote related, no dug holes, I am thinking arial attack of some sort...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

18 of your birds gone in a blink of an eye! That is just awful! I am so sorry but so glad that you got it ... but what was it? I'm thinking mink or owl. That would be just devastating for me, that would be almost half of my birds. Yikes.

XOX Monika

9War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Just a thought Dan , I remember someone once telling me that they travel in pairs ? Not sure if that is correct , but a few years ago I had a Martin killing cats at my place and when the dog scared it up a tree ....well I had it mounted and the taxidermist asked me as well where the other one was ?? they travel in pairs ??.......just a thought , but glad that you caught the one

10War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:43 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sorry to hear of your losses. But what is it?

11War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:42 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I guess I need to eat humble pie because I have not stopped all of the killing. 3 more dead this morning, all Barnevelder pullets. Prairie dog I think that you jinxed me because there must be more than one or else I killed the wrong one but when ever you set traps you never know for sure if the one that you kill is the one that killed your birds or was it just a visitor stopping by to snack on some already dead chickens. There were two innocent casualties Molly and Misty Magpie. The main predator must have died from a heart attack after eating all that very rich chicken meat. I can't really say just exactly what the main predator was just in case it may be illegal to have them unfortunately get caught in my traps especially if they are protected. All I can say is that my chickens are protected and not by our Government but by me.
HillBilly, We don't have racoons here or at least I have never seen one in my lifetime and Island girl I have only seen one Mink or Martin in the wild in my lifetime . I couldn't tell the difference.
Jayme you are so right. I also noticed this fall that the young birds from this years hatch will come out so early in the morning that it is still dark and they go to bed much later that the older wiser birds and that might be why they are all this years hatch. It kind of sounds like your attacks were done by a weasel or maybe owl. Let us know when you find out what it is.
Fowler, I love your humor but how did you know what the main predator was. Now can you see why they must be endangered?

12War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:30 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Marten vs mink.

You can see the marten's head has sort of a 'foxy' look to it where the mink looks more like a big weasel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

13War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:26 am

Fishers or Martins are about the size of a cat ? but they are extremally fast and I believe a mink would be smaller then a pine martin ? Not sure though because I've never seen a mink .Weasels come in all sizes and have the ability to squeeze through the smallest holes and do a lot of damage , and the normally will go for the throat , and eat the inards first as well .Sorry Dan , no jinx , just giveing my two cents worth .........why don't you go get a game camera at Bass Pro or any sporting goods store and set it up and get a picture of your enemy ? they are under a $100.00 and from what you've said I think you have lost far more worth in chickens already and this way you'll see what you are dealing with ( might be surprised by what the camera shows ??)

14War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:39 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blah, to it all. I am sorry, I can't stand predation and have a bad attitude towards that. I have only lost birds once, and it was a horrible massacre, ducks and chickens, all killed in one night (thank goodness there were others in a different coop). Endangered or not, glad you got whatever it was, that is awful losses and needless as well. CynthiaM.

15War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes Prairie dog you are probably right. I already have two game cameras which I bought for myself for Christmas from my wife but they are still in the box never used. I need to make the time to set them up. Like I have said in the past,..."I am the worlds worst procrastinator"

16War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dan Smith wrote:Yes Prairie dog you are probably right. I already have two game cameras which I bought for myself for Christmas from my wife but they are still in the box never used. I need to make the time to set them up. Like I have said in the past,..."I am the worlds worst procrastinator"

I wouldn't say that, sounds like you're pretty good at it.

I was going to make myself a plaque that said "World's Best Procrastinator" but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

17War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Not trying to be right Dan , just that there are different ways of looking at each situation and myself I think the game camera was one of the better inventions to come along in the last while , just catch the darn critter before it gets worse

18War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I haven't had any more losses since I lost the last three the night that I sent the culprit out of this world but I had also patched up a small open space above one of the gates to the chicken run. The only victims that I have pulled from the traps lately are 3 magpies and 2 deer mice. I didn't think that it was possible for deer mice to get caught in a rat trap because the trap is way too big for them but somehow they managed to get wasted.

19War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

BTW PrairieDog, I think that game cameras are a great idea I just need to do it.

20War declared by predator Empty Re: War declared by predator Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:42 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It appears that the killing has stopped and yes I did get that rascal. And Cynthia M, I totally agree with you. Some of my chickens are rare and just as endangered as the predator might be so who says he deserves to live more than my birds. It seems that I can sleep better at nights now but it sure sucks that I lost so many of this years flock which were coming along so nice. I guess there is always next year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum