Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rainy day cow myth.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rainy day cow myth. Empty Rainy day cow myth. Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had a builder work for us many years ago. He was installing our metal roof and some days would show up and others said it was too rainy to work. But sometimes when it was raining he'd show up, declare that the rain was going to stop, the sun would come out, the roof would dry, and he was right! I asked him what weather channel he consulted. He said he looked at the cows. The COWS told him what the weather was going to do.

He said, if the cows were all bunched up against hedges, fences or jammed under a few trees, the rain was going to be short and the rest of the day nice. If the cows were spread out grazing then it was going to rain all day. His theory is that cows don't like to be wet and if the rain is short lived, they will attempt to stay dry until it ends, thus the bunching in short rain bursts. But if it's going to rain all day, the cows can sense this and just say to heck with it and get on with the business of eating.

We have forever called this The Broadaway Cow Test, and never paid much attnetion to its accuracy. BUt this man made his living up on roofs and swore this was how he determined if he gathered his crew on a rainy day or told them to stay home. By looking at where the cows were standing.

Have any of you paid attention to where your cows are on a rainy day? This came to mind as I was working outside in the rain and made me smile. Rural myth or truth?

2Rainy day cow myth. Empty Re: Rainy day cow myth. Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:03 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've relied more on a weather rock than weather cows, but I've heard that the birds of the field will take shelter if it is going to rain for a short period of time the birds will seek shelter. If the rain is for a long time they will go out to find food.

Uno, do you stay awake all night coming up with these wonderful subjects or do they just come to you while doing the dishes?

3Rainy day cow myth. Empty Re: Rainy day cow myth. Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:12 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This story came to mind today as I was packing a bag of feed to the hen house. I had put it off all day hoping the rain would stop and I thought, gee it would be nice if I could see some cows and apply the Broadaway cow test. Alas, no cows. Some horses. One wet, one dry, one very muddy. That was no help.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]