Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sam update...still with us

+5
chickeesmom
dj
coopslave
Cathyjk
cbrookkelly
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sam update...still with us Empty Sam update...still with us Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:43 am

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well Sam has made it so far...longer already than the vets had predicted. With the first dosage of pain meds he seemed like a healthy dog, but yesterday he stopped running and playing with me. I have upped his pain med dosage(now enough for a 200 lb man). I think we are on the fast downhill stretch now. Sam looks sad, limps about all hunched in the shoulders and his tumor has nearly tripled and is going up his leg past his hock. He limps on 3 feet. He isn't as eager to eat but will eat if I encourage and stay beside him. I don't know how much longer I can make him stay with me. He isn't losing weight yet but I suspect that will be next. His temperment is good still but he is resting more.
All this is so sad. I guess we are down to day to day.

2Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:46 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh Kelly it's so tough. I know you will do everything you can and then some.
Give Sam a gentle, loving hug from us.
If you need anything yell...

3Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:54 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the update. I am so glad that you got some extra, good time with Sam. You will know when the time is right. Don`t feel bad for doing the right thing, feel good that you gave this lovely dog some really good last days of love and kindness. I am sorry for what you have to go through, but I think you should feel good about yourself for what you have done so far and what you will have to do in the future. Be strong, many of us feel for you and have been there and know how tough it can be.

4Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:37 pm

dj

cbrookkelly wrote:Well Sam has made it so far...longer already than the vets had predicted. With the first dosage of pain meds he seemed like a healthy dog, but yesterday he stopped running and playing with me. I have upped his pain med dosage(now enough for a 200 lb man). I think we are on the fast downhill stretch now. Sam looks sad, limps about all hunched in the shoulders and his tumor has nearly tripled and is going up his leg past his hock. He limps on 3 feet. He isn't as eager to eat but will eat if I encourage and stay beside him. I don't know how much longer I can make him stay with me. He isn't losing weight yet but I suspect that will be next. His temperment is good still but he is resting more.
All this is so sad. I guess we are down to day to day.
I'm so sorry for poor Sam and for you. It's so hard to let go of your best friend. Remember dogs don't show pain like people do and they're in a lot of pain by the time it shows. I guess you have to ask yourself if you're doing this for him or for yourself.

5Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:37 am

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks everyone...

after spending the day on a double dose of pain meds yesterday, today he seems a bit more chipper. He only gets a regular dose this am to see how he fares through the day. He is by no means better just had some relief yesterday I guess.

dj....that's my problem, trying to figure how far I am going to go and if it is for me or for Sam. I could have him into the vet tomorrow but I would feel so guilty to take him in 'early' but would feel really bad if I made him wait until he couldn't get up anymore. I don't know how fast these cancers work. I do feel I would be a total wreck if I waitied until he was in a very bad way and had to carry him in, then again how do I justify it in my mind that there isn't really a 'too early'?

6Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:47 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Kelly, you will know when the time has come. Sam will let you know.

YOU and Sam will figure it out. And from my perspective there isn't an 'early'... when it's time, it's time and something will change to convince you of it.

If you are having mental debates about it, then the time isn't here yet.

Sam is enjoying himself, just take what today gives you.

C

7Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:56 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well said Cathy. You have given this boy an amazing life, our hearts are all right there with you Kelly.

8Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:00 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Cathy on you will know when it is time.
When I had to make the decision last year to put my German Sheperd down she let me know it was time. I never realized how bad she was until we took her in, but she was more than happy to come do chores with me and plug along. The last two days she wouldnt eat, didnt want to come out of her dog house, and would just let me snuggle with her in there. The day I decided it was time she put her paw on me, looked into my eyes and basically let me know it was time, she was ready to go.
Sam will let you know Kelly when it is time, us as humans try to analyze everything, dogs are just straight shooters. My thoughts are with you right now, my heart still hurts for my GSD, and I know Sam will live in your heart for a very long time, even when he is no longer with you. <<HUGS>>

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:42 pm

abpride

Let him walk into the clinic,dont wait till he cant do it on his own.
These big guys hide pain so well Sad

Thinking of you and Sam.

10Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:00 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sam will let you know when the time in right. My heart is feeling your pain right now. Take care. Lou

11Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:33 am

dj

cbrookkelly wrote:Thanks everyone...

after spending the day on a double dose of pain meds yesterday, today he seems a bit more chipper. He only gets a regular dose this am to see how he fares through the day. He is by no means better just had some relief yesterday I guess.

dj....that's my problem, trying to figure how far I am going to go and if it is for me or for Sam. I could have him into the vet tomorrow but I would feel so guilty to take him in 'early' but would feel really bad if I made him wait until he couldn't get up anymore. I don't know how fast these cancers work. I do feel I would be a total wreck if I waitied until he was in a very bad way and had to carry him in, then again how do I justify it in my mind that there isn't really a 'too early'?

I feel your pain, I had the same thing with my beloved Rotti Karma, she had cancer in her spleen and there was nothing to be done, my vet said take her home and feed her steak and love her till it's time. It was the hardest decision ever, but I loved her so much I had to let her go, It still brings tears to my eyes, I miss her so much. Give Sam a big gentle hug for me

12Sam update...still with us Empty Re: Sam update...still with us Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:10 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I also agree with Cathyjk, She couldn't have worded it any better. I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but knowing what I know now about Sam I am glad that he has you to be with in his last days.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum