Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leghorns boys or girls???

+2
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
SerJay
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Leghorns boys or girls??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:35 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My son got these 6 exchequer leghorns from performance this year. We ordered other breeds of sexed females that turned out to be boys but these ones I'm just not sure about. They would be almost exactly 4mnths old now. I don't see any sign of long pointy neck or saddle feathers and even though the partridge rock "pullets" are already crowing these ones still seem quiet but they seemed have quite large and red waddles and combs to be all girls??? I think 1 is for sure a girl with the smaller pale comb and tiny waddles but maybe she's just a bit slower in growing??? Anyone else know anything about leghorns and can take a guess at boys or girls?? Thanx =)
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05837
All 6 together
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05844
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05845
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05847
#3 I think girl??
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05848
#4 (weird eye is camera fault sorry but they just don't stay still!)
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05849
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05850

2Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

I think they all look like hens.

3Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:47 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Really that would be awesome! Everyone else I've asked thinks 1 pullet and 5 cockerels.... Do you think some are just maturing faster? We've never had any experience with Leghorns and I know they get big combs but at least 2 seem to have had bigger redder combs from the beginning and slightly bigger legs. The rocks were very obviously males as their legs are twice the size of the girls and have the more pointed neck feathers already Crowing and feather colour was also a good tell LOL). I have a couple salmon faverolles that have me stumped as well because 2 are very very black on the belly and beard but have teeny tiny pale combs like the 2 that look like girls and I don't see any other roo characteristics. I thought I'd be able to tell by now Embarassed

4Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

From my limited knowledge of leghorns, I'd agree with all pullets.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

5Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well that was my sense too (that they are girls). Four months? Male leghorns would look more ... male, by now.
Look at their tails more carefully - I didn't get a good view of them from your pic.
Were they sold to you as girls?

Last edited by ipf on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

6Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would say all girls as well, some maturing faster than others for sure. Male leghorns start crowing usually by 6 weeks old. LOL.
Also they should have way larger combs by now, at least in my past experiences with these leghorns.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

7Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well that is fantastic!! Yes they were supposed to be pullets form performance but my sons other layer breed was the partridge rocks and they were also supposed to be sexed pullets and 3 we have 3 definate roos and 2 hens which was very disappointing. Then my 2 sexed female fawn and white runner ducklings turned out to be 1 fawn and white (not very runnerish....) and the other was buff coloured and male. I'm also watching my daughters choice of pullets which are the faverolles 2 look like the right colour but 2 are black on the belly area and grey in the beard but they do have tiny combs so maybe just bad colouring? I hope so because she took them as consolation since the houdans she'd picked were short shipped at the last minute.
I'll try and get a better and newer pic of them tomorrow
Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC03736-1-1

8Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:17 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

The faverolle's will do that and I find any hatchery faverolles are very bad for the dark coloring coming out. Those three in the picture look like girls to me, but yes the one is very dark and not a good example of the faverolle coloring.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I would say they are hens for sure now. The would look very roosterish by this age if they were roos, Whew, I am sure glad they are. My fawn and white runners from PP are not runnerish at all, they are just little ducks.

10Leghorns boys or girls??? Empty Re: Leghorns boys or girls??? Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:48 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OK Thanx again Hidden we're ok with bad colouring as long as they are girls Haha no plans on breeding them at all just want fun egg layers

Yes looks like Performance order wasn't as bad as it was looking. My fawn and white runners don't look much like runners to me either. They are the same size as my year old khaki hens already. The one that isn't even fawn and white is still most definitely a drake which is very disappointing as the bill looks far to yellow to even be a Buff duck. And 3 partridge rocks are also very definitely roos so only 2 partridge rock pullets. I don't know if the colour etc is great on my Welsh Harlequins from McMurray but wow they sure are looking beautiful to me and the little girl I hatched from your eggs is doing well and also looking great cheers

Leghorns boys or girls??? DSC05984
The 2 of the 3 on the left are my performance fawn and white tufted "female" runners. The 3rd that is a little behind is the eldest of my Buff ducklings I hatched this year

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum