Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Going Heritage...

+7
Island Girl
fuzzylittlefriend
KathyS
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
Giddyup
coopslave
BriarwoodPoultry
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Going Heritage... Empty Going Heritage... Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:59 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I did it!

I just re-homed the last of our hybrid laying hens and we are now proudly heritage only! Our laying flock now is made up of barred rocks, orpingtons, wyandottes, welsummers and a ton of easter eggers and ameraucana's.. woohoo Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

2Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:06 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice!

3Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

"Like"!

4Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

I am also working on that when my heritage hens start laying really well I will be selling anything that isin't heritage.

5Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:50 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wonderful news, Briarwood. You are living your own motto: Be the change you wish to see in the world.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

6Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How wonderful! I am planning to go that route too by the spring. I am so tired of the agressive production layers. I have a good collection now of orphingtons, welsummers, australorpes and ameracanas that I plan to let "big red" ( rir roo - he's sooooo beautiful!) breed ( which he has started) and hatch my own herritage hybrid layers in the spring. I am done with the hatcheries!

I might end up with some polish crested crosses too as mr top hat has also been making a go at the ladies but not as successful as red! Its so funny to watch.

Anne Smile

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:13 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

AHHH! I have an intruder!! An imposter!!! I have no idea how... but I missed ONE ISA brown hen when we shipped out the rest! I just saw her this evening.. blast!

Free, 1 ISA brown hen. Age: unknown. Who knows how long she's been incognito? Grr.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

8Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:21 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

BriarwoodPoultry wrote:AHHH! I have an intruder!! An imposter!!! I have no idea how... but I missed ONE ISA brown hen when we shipped out the rest! I just saw her this evening.. blast!

Free, 1 ISA brown hen. Age: unknown. Who knows how long she's been incognito? Grr.

lol! I'll bet she puffed herself up to look like a Welsummer or the like on the day you were rounding up the other Isa Browns!! Last week when I rounded up the cockerels for .. um, freezer camp, you should have seen those boys all running around clucking and tucking in their tail feathers trying to look like pullets ... they are on to us Brairwood, they talk and make plans when we are not listening!!

XOX Monika

9Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:07 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Way to go! Maybe you should keep her, sounds like she wants to stay Smile

10Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:22 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:Wonderful news, Briarwood. You are living your own motto: Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Nice! cheers

11Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:55 am

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great Job making the step to go Heritage (once the hybrid is gone).

I am Happy to have an All Heritage Flock this fall! Hopefully more people will do the same as you and rid their flock of commercial hybrid layers and help promote and preserve the Heritage Ones!

Nothing nicer than looking at a flock of Purebred Heritage birds. No hybrid, no crosses, no franken meat monsters! Very Happy

12Going Heritage... Empty Re: Going Heritage... Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Briarwood, well that is just cool. That smart little Isa brown eh? She must have known that her style were all hitting the road. I think that it is wise to go heritage, the tried and true, lovely all-round great birds. Those un-heritage (is there such a word anyways), do have their place for surely, but going heritage is just wonderful. have that great day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum