Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should I give her a second set of chicks?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Should I give her a second set of chicks? Empty Should I give her a second set of chicks? Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a lovely Brahma who hatched a brood of 5 and accepted and fostered another 5 at the same time. She loves, LOOVES her babies.

The little ones are old enough to be on their own now, but she still hovers and guards and does her best to cover them all even though bits of chick are sticking out everywhere beneith her.

She is in great shape, is eating well, and came through the first incubation with flying colors.

I am wondering if she will accept a second set of week-old chicks? I would take away the older chicks first and sneakily substitute the new ones. Has anyone tried this?

Sue

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

have a go with it. Babies often switch and swap mommas. Some hens will take any chick, others will only take thier own.

Either way let us know how it goes.

gubi

I wouldn't because she will probably soon leave the chicks and start to lay eggs again.

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I wouldn't. How old are the first ones?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote:I wouldn't. How old are the first ones?

They are 4-6 weeks.

Sue

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought they were just a few days old! I dont think she will take them.
I have chicks running about right now, loose, no momma. They have adopetd a couple of the cochin hens and some Silkie hens. They cuddle in with who ever when they need it and feed with the rest. They are doing great! Momma dissapeared when they were about 4 days old, they are about 2 weeks old now.

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Definitely wouldn't, then. Mum's hormone levels have moved on, and she's not going to want babies.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Amazing yours survived, Arctic!

Yes, I stuck week olds under her when hers were 2 weeks old. Everyone was fine. Doubt I can pull that old switcharoo again.

Sue

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know! There were 4 chicks, momma and two babies dissapeared one day leaving two babies. They are doing great. Huddle with whoever is laying about but they also have a couple of favourites they look for. The chicks run through the chainlink from pen to pen at will. I have no idea what they eat. I was putting out chick starter for them when momma was there, and a few days after, but they dont eat there, they grab little bits from the pelleted food. Momma was my Sumatran, so these are not big chicks either.

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

We have a Silkie hen who hatched some, adopted some, is still taking care of them although they are over 2 months old, and she is laying eggs, she still seems to love them so she gets to keep them. I don't know if it would work to put new chicks under her again right now.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum