Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Telescoping Comb *pictures*

+8
Fowler
coopslave
Hidden River
Blue Hill Farm
CynthiaM
viczoe
KathyS
Island Girl
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Telescoping Comb *pictures* Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Here are the pictures that I promised of my roo's telescoping comb. For those that did not see my other post, it is a disqualifying genetic trait for poultry shows. I see that these pictures are not as clear as I would have liked, hope you can see the inverted part at the very back of his head

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

XOX Monika

2Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:33 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very informative! Thank you, Monika.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very good pictures Island Girl. I can't actually tell but does he have a spike at all at the back of the comb or where that little indention is where the spike should come out. Some birds will also be lacking a spike all together from my observations.
Thank you for posting the pictures.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

4Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those pictures were OK, a little fuzzy on one, but gave us the gist. I can see now what is meant by that, and yes, his comb does not look very good at all. (no offense intended, sorry if it came across in any such way). I was wondering what the part of the comb in the second picture that was kind of looking like a hangy down thing at the front, or is that just a gliche in how the camera took the picture? I am going to have a good look at my gold laced wyandotte rooster's comb, but I think his is a good one. Just want to make sure it doesn't have any telescoping business going on. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:55 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:Very informative! Thank you, Monika.

^ Yes, thank you. Smile

I'd be very interested to see a telescoping PEA comb now. Google here I come.

6Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:35 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

CynthiaM wrote:Those pictures were OK, a little fuzzy on one, but gave us the gist. I can see now what is meant by that, and yes, his comb does not look very good at all. (no offense intended, sorry if it came across in any such way). I was wondering what the part of the comb in the second picture that was kind of looking like a hangy down thing at the front, or is that just a gliche in how the camera took the picture? I am going to have a good look at my gold laced wyandotte rooster's comb, but I think his is a good one. Just want to make sure it doesn't have any telescoping business going on. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

No offense taken Very Happy That is definitely a camera gliche in the 2nd picture other than the telescoping part its actually a fairly presentable comb. I think! lol

Heather, he has no spike at all all at the back of his head, that little indentation is where the last little part of comb should actually be hanging down along the backside of his head. The lighting etc wasn't that great when I finally got around to taking the pictures. I will take a few more today and see if I can improve the quality.

I would love to see if anyone else has this in any of there birds and how it presents itself.

XOX Monika

7Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I just noticed it in my SLW hen I wanted to sell, I will be taking pictures when I return home tonight, very interesting for sure.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:13 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am trying to get permission to quote someone from that other site that was a wee bit derogatory and yet interesting enough that I would like to get others opinions on this subject (on this site). I may start a new post as I really shouldn't highjack my own post Wink would like to keep this one about telescoping combs.

XOX Monika

9Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I posted my thoughts 'over there'.

10Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 am

I need more pictures... I can't see it. Or I'm just missing something. cyclops Oh wait, that's it.

Anyway, I'd like to see more. Thanks for sharing Monika. And Jayme, if you do get some pics...

11Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I seem to be missing it too. Just what is the fault in a telescoping comb?

12Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

this is the standard of Perfections written word on the Wyandotte comb
Rose- low and firm on head, top is free from hollow center, oval surface covered with small rounded pints; tapering to a well defined point at the rear; the entire comb curving to conform to the shape of the skull: see fig. 19 of the book

So if you look at Island Girl's bird he has a distinct lack of a from what I can see leader at the end of the comb, but with perhaps a better picture we might see where it is actually setting somewhat inside a little hollow so to speak. We will wait and see if we can get clearer pictures of it. Thanks again Monika and maybe Hidden can get one too.

Heather

13Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

More pictures

Picture #1 (still blurry) back of head

Picture #2 A cockerel with comb that is not good but not telescoping in the back

Picture #3 Top view

Picture #4 Mr Blue wondering what the heck all the fuss is about!!

Not sure if these help or not, XOX Monika

14Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:36 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Island Girl Much better picture if you look you can see the tip of the leader(end of comb) and you can also see where it goes in, so sort of pops out like a telescope would if you were lenghtening it.
Also boy # 2 shows you what an hollow would like (The standard states the comb should be free of a hollow center.

As for Mr. Blue thanks for being a trooper about all this.

Culling for and not breeding from birds with these problems eliminates them, though they may pop up from time to time.

Thanks to you Monika!!

Heather

15Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thank you Heather! I'm thinking that you are a poultry judge. Very Happy I wondered if the cockerel in #2 had the hollow that I read about. Guess he won't be the lucky one that takes Mr Blue's place. Shocked It feels good to be armed with a little more knowledge when picking out the next roo. Heather can you comment on backline of Wyandottes please. I'm wondering if the Wyandotte curve is defined enough in a cockerel to help make the decision of keeping them or sending them off to freezer camp!

XOX Monika

16Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[quote=Omega Blue Farms]The focus on the comb needs to be taken with a grain of salt if one is truely concerned about breeding quality BLR Wyandottes. The comb is the least of that variety's concerns, I've yet to see one that actually looks like a Wyandotte. Finding true wyandotte body type isn't easy, even with the more popular varieties (locally) like Silver Laced. I didn't see a single Silver Lace in that show that displayed proper Wyandote backline. I've never seen a BLR with a proper backline. The backline is key to the breed and is what really seperates them from the Rocks, IMO. Therefore, when picking breeding birds, I would focus on body type before worying whether the comb posses a DQ quality.

To put things into perpsective, this year, my main "production" breeding Ameraucana rooster happened to have a telescoped comb. My ameraucanas are similar to the Wyandottes in that proper body type is still a work in progress, and I wasn't prepared to toss the best body type I had to select from over a telescope comb. About 30% of his offspring ended up with telescoped combs. However, the AOSB champ at the show was his daughter. As were all the black ameraucana pullets on display, including the champion junior entry.[/quote]

Hmmmmm? Love to hear your thoughts to help me sort through this.

XOX Monika

17Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How can an Ameraucana have a telescoped comb. . . ? THey have pea combs, not rose combs, so there is no spike to invert. I'm really curious.

Given what I've read about it, it doesn't sound as if it's a simple genetic trait (by simple, I mean under the control of one gene, either recessive or dominant), but is governed by a multitude of factors. While it seems highly likely to me that it's mostly genetic, it's possible that there's some environmental factors at play here too . . . I guess.

18Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:20 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

With rose combs, sometimes the spike can be damaged or freeze off, since it is quite small.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

19Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My question was, how can a pea comb (such as an Ameraucana's) be telescoped, since there's no spike?

20Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote:My question was, how can a pea comb (such as an Ameraucana's) be telescoped, since there's no spike?

Monika had posted the quote from the Standard, but it is gone now. It states how a rose and pea comb can both have this fault. If I can find my glasses in the morning Rolling Eyes I will repost it if nobody else has before that.

21Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Do you mean viczoe's post #12

XOX Monika

22Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:45 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nope, not that one. It was the definition posted earlier.
I will struggle without my glassses, hope it makes sense|! Laughing

Telescope comb: (1) A pea comb with an indentation at the rear, a disqualification. (2) A rose comb with an inverted spike; a disqualification. Quoted from the American Standard of Perfection 2001

I apologise, it was not you that posted it. I am not sure who it was, but I remember reading it and thinking I didnt have to post it now.

23Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:17 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:
ipf wrote:My question was, how can a pea comb (such as an Ameraucana's) be telescoped, since there's no spike?

Monika had posted the quote from the Standard, but it is gone now. It states how a rose and pea comb can both have this fault. If I can find my glasses in the morning Rolling Eyes I will repost it if nobody else has before that.

I missed out on noticing something. It was me that had posted the standard's words of this DQ. Look at post *8, have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Last edited by CynthiaM on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I didn't look hard enough for something, smiling)

24Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 am

gubi

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cynthia check post #8

25Telescoping Comb *pictures* Empty Re: Telescoping Comb *pictures* Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:25 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

gubi wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cynthia check post #8

Gubi, thank you, I must be blind this morning, I am editing my post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum