Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Frustrated boys!!!

+3
Giddyup
Hidden River
sosweetjojo
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Frustrated boys!!! Empty Frustrated boys!!! Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:19 pm

sosweetjojo

sosweetjojo

I have 17 extra roos that are 5 months old today. Theres been a bit of fighting between them(they cannot see the hens). But only a couple, the ones that are crowing really good anyway to make a long story short the kids had left 2 milk jugs in the pen. To my surprize the boys that had been doing all the fighting were not fighting anymore but now they were romancing these two milk jugs and mounting them too!! I had to fill them with water to wieght them down so the boys could stay on top for a while.. They are just having a blast with these milk jugs. Do you think this is wrong??? I figure they are going in the pot in a few weeks so they should atleast get to have a little fun. Well what do you all think??

2Frustrated boys!!! Empty Re: Frustrated boys!!! Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think if it is keeping them from fighting then why not!

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Frustrated boys!!! Empty Re: Frustrated boys!!! Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I think that's hilarious, and completely harmless. Whatever keeps the peace, LOL!!

4Frustrated boys!!! Empty Re: Frustrated boys!!! Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh that was just too funny, what a picture you gave for my mind's eye. Let them have their fun, you were wise to make it more stable for them Shocked . That kind of reminds me when I saw my tom turkey (before he had two hens) doin' his thing on a 2 X 4 that was laying on the ground. Couldn't figure out what he was doin' til I finally figured it out, smiling. Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

5Frustrated boys!!! Empty Re: Frustrated boys!!! Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 am

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

If it works keep it.

6Frustrated boys!!! Empty Re: Frustrated boys!!! Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:05 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

If it helps keep the peace and amuses you, go ahead and keep them in there.
I did read an article once that said once a cockerel starts to be sexually active the quality of his meat changes. That is one of the main reasons a bachelor pen is suggested. I don`t think it matters what they are `doing it` with, I think these guys would be considered sexually active. Maybe mark the ones in love with the cartons and the ones not and see if the taste or texture of the meat is any different.
I do have to admit you made me chuckle and think of males of many species and how almost anything `will do` sometimes! Laughing

7Frustrated boys!!! Empty Re: Frustrated boys!!! Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now that’s FUNNY! Laughing

Interesting about the meat quality changing. Must be the hormone overload. Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum